Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    betaspin
    Participant

The full version of EmEditor v9.01 which I purchased earlier today appears to have an annoying bug with ClearType font rendering under Windows XP SP3 (with the NVidia 186.18 video driver). Some words and lines are rendered correctly (i.e., as in notepad), but most are rendered in a thick, almost bold fashion, with bad hinting. Opening and closing a dialogue window, e.g., Tools -> Customize… changes the rendering of the text in the editor behind the dialogue window. All this happens with any syntax highlighting scheme, and with any TrueType/OpenType font. Hope there is something that I have not seen in the settings that can fix this, or, if it is bug, that it will be sorted out quickly.

Another more minor annoyance: I understand the need for the activation connection to one of the author’s servers, but the editor continues to “phone home” every time it is started, even if the automatic updates are disabled.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

betaspin wrote:
    The full version of EmEditor v9.01 which I purchased earlier today appears to have an annoying bug with ClearType font rendering under Windows XP SP3 (with the NVidia 186.18 video driver). Some words and lines are rendered correctly (i.e., as in notepad), but most are rendered in a thick, almost bold fashion, with bad hinting. Opening and closing a dialogue window, e.g., Tools -> Customize… changes the rendering of the text in the editor behind the dialogue window. All this happens with any syntax highlighting scheme, and with any TrueType/OpenType font. Hope there is something that I have not seen in the settings that can fix this, or, if it is bug, that it will be sorted out quickly.

Another more minor annoyance: I understand the need for the activation connection to one of the author’s servers, but the editor continues to “phone home” every time it is started, even if the automatic updates are disabled.

I am aware of the bold rendering issue with some ClearType fonts. I will try to fix this issue near future.

EmEditor will not connect to the Internet if you set “Never” in the Customize Update Checker dialog box (on the Help menu) except for when you enter the registration key. If you still have issues, can you describe the details more and you can also email me at [email protected] . Thanks!

betaspin
    Participant

Yutaka wrote:
    I am aware of the bold rendering issue with some ClearType fonts. I will try to fix this issue near future.

EmEditor will not connect to the Internet if you set “Never” in the Customize Update Checker dialog box (on the Help menu) except for when you enter the registration key. If you still have issues, can you describe the details more and you can also email me at [email protected] . Thanks!

Many thanks for the prompt reply. It appears that the problem with the ClearType font rendering is most pronounced when the Horizontal Line and/or Vertical Line have been enabled (Properties for Current Configuration -> Scroll tab). Without these lines (which are a nice feature that I would like to be able to use together with ClearType), the fonts are rendered reasonably well.

I have set Customize Update Checker to “Never” but still, every time I start the editor, it tries to connect to 74.55.18.114 (murasoft.site5.com) on port 80.

betaspin
    Participant

The ClearType font rendering problem with the Horizontal Line and/or Vertical Line (Properties for Current Configuration -> Scroll tab) has been resolved in v9.01, many thanks!

So far as the attempts to connect to the Internet, these are continuing with the Update Checker set to “Never” (this is with the 64bit version), which is not a big deal but still can be classified as unexpected behaviour (I have decided to permanently allow these through my firewall, classifying EmEditor as a “web browser”).

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

betaspin wrote:
    The ClearType font rendering problem with the Horizontal Line and/or Vertical Line (Properties for Current Configuration -> Scroll tab) has been resolved in v9.01, many thanks!

So far as the attempts to connect to the Internet, these are continuing with the Update Checker set to “Never” (this is with the 64bit version), which is not a big deal but still can be classified as unexpected behaviour (I have decided to permanently allow these through my firewall, classifying EmEditor as a “web browser”).

I am sorry for the Update Checker bug. It will be fixed in v9.03. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.