Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TimGreen

I do a lot of work with a Windows XP virtual machine in Parallels Desktop on an Intel Mac. Up to version 8 I’ve used EmEditor for almost all my editing needs in this environment and it has always been absolutely stable and reliable. I just bought the update to version 9 and updated to 9.03 and now EmEditor is freezing constantly when I use it in the XP VM in Parallels. I then have to force EmEditor to terminate with Task Manager and restart XP, because the whole system becomes unstable. This is the only program this happens with.

As far as I can see this has something to do with the way EmEd 9 is using the Windows clipboard, which is linked to the Mac OS X clipboard in Parallels so that you can copy and paste between the two systems. The first sign of an impending freeze is usually that the shared clipboard becomes corrupted and then stops working, then EmEd freezes completely and needs to be killed to exit. I’m also using 9.03 on my Windows 7/64 development machine on hardware and there it works fine.

I know that this is a bit of an unusual scenario but I’ve really come to depend on EmEditor and I’d like to go on using the new version if possible. Is it possible that any fix for this might become available? I’d be happy to do any testing necessary with a debug coded version if you like… :-)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

TimGreen wrote:
    I do a lot of work with a Windows XP virtual machine in Parallels Desktop on an Intel Mac. Up to version 8 I’ve used EmEditor for almost all my editing needs in this environment and it has always been absolutely stable and reliable. I just bought the update to version 9 and updated to 9.03 and now EmEditor is freezing constantly when I use it in the XP VM in Parallels. I then have to force EmEditor to terminate with Task Manager and restart XP, because the whole system becomes unstable. This is the only program this happens with.

As far as I can see this has something to do with the way EmEd 9 is using the Windows clipboard, which is linked to the Mac OS X clipboard in Parallels so that you can copy and paste between the two systems. The first sign of an impending freeze is usually that the shared clipboard becomes corrupted and then stops working, then EmEd freezes completely and needs to be killed to exit. I’m also using 9.03 on my Windows 7/64 development machine on hardware and there it works fine.

I know that this is a bit of an unusual scenario but I’ve really come to depend on EmEditor and I’d like to go on using the new version if possible. Is it possible that any fix for this might become available? I’d be happy to do any testing necessary with a debug coded version if you like… :-)

If the Clipboard history is the issue, please open regedit.exe, and set MaxClipboardHistory (REG_DWORD) as 0 in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareemsoftEmEditor v3Common. This will effectively disable the Clipboard history. Thank you for using EmEditor!

TimGreen

Hi Yutaka,

Thanks for your answer: I tried setting that registry value but it doesn’t seem to work, in fact it seems to make it a little worse. After a lot of testing it seems that the problem is the tray utility. If I exit the tray utility and run EmEd without it everything seems to work.

Have there been any significant changes in the way the tray utility works in version 9?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

TimGreen wrote:
    Hi Yutaka,

Thanks for your answer: I tried setting that registry value but it doesn’t seem to work, in fact it seems to make it a little worse. After a lot of testing it seems that the problem is the tray utility. If I exit the tray utility and run EmEd without it everything seems to work.

Have there been any significant changes in the way the tray utility works in version 9?

There is no significant change in emedtray.exe (Tray Icon).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.