Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ZoNi
    Participant

Hi!

One question: any idea to update EmEditor FREE with few improvements? Maybe you can put it back on your homepage? Even make it OpenSource?

That can be nice “marketing” for the FULL version ;)

Btw, is it OK to put here links for that free version (including to “portable” version)?

ZoNi
    Participant

If, by any chance, you want to little update EmEditor Free, I would suggest only few things (in order by importance) that will be nice for me personally:

1. Option to close program with ESC key (CTRL+W is not great choice).

2. Option to remove toolbar names.

3. Option to remove some of toolbar buttons and “Tools” toolbar.

4. Option to lock toolbars.

Other than that, EmEditor Free is almost perfect for me :lol:

gan
    Participant

According to what i have read in the past i wouldn’t expect a new version of emeditor free. All the features requested is available in the full version and it’s only $39.99. It’s not free of course, but $39.99 is pretty close to free. You get a great editor pretty cheap and upgrades been free since version 4 unless i’m wrong. At least i never had to pay for a upgrade so far. Why not buy Emeditor prof and support the company and you get the features you want as well?

I’m pretty sure you have to stick with emeditor free and accept the lack of features or buy the full version. I’m also guessing that feature requests from paying customers have a much greater chance of being implemented.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

$39.99 is pretty close to free

Actually, it depends on the country the user lives in. For example, here in Russia (except in Moscow and St. Petersburg) many people earn as much as $60/month or even less. For them $40 is anything but “close to free”.

Unfortunately, it’s a big problem that most software is sold by the same price all over the world, irregarding that in different countries there are different price and salary levels.

ZoNi
    Participant

I would also disagree that 40$ is “almost free” ;) Especially when there are so fine freeware and open source programs.

For me, EmEditor Free is great; also are Notepad++ and Notepad2, which are both Open Source. I just wish that Notepad++ is little bit faster on start, but even now it is better than EmEditor Free (I don’t know about Pro, haven’t tried it). With Notepad2 is different – it is VERY fast, but has no tabs (not so important) and no “clickable URLs” (and I need that very often).

So, I don’t understand why EmEditor Free is not available from emeditor.com (maybe with some small improvements over time). Anyway, that would be nice for not-so-rich countries, where 40$ for “Notepad on steroids” is little bit too much :-D

gan
    Participant

Flint wrote:
    Actually, it depends on the country the user lives in. For example, here in Russia (except in Moscow and St. Petersburg) many people earn as much as $60/month or even less. For them $40 is anything but “close to free”.

Unfortunately, it’s a big problem that most software is sold by the same price all over the world, irregarding that in different countries there are different price and salary levels.

Well i actually agree. It might not be fair to say it’s cheap since that might not be the case for everyone like you said. I also think it would be a good idea to regulate the price in such countries, but might be a challenge to find the right sales model if the price should differ between countries. Also prevent that people from other countries try to take advantage of such a deal and pretend to be from Russia to get a lower price for the product.

For $60 a month how can they even afford a computer?

gan
    Participant

ZoNi wrote:
    I would also disagree that 40$ is “almost free” ;) Especially when there are so fine freeware and open source programs.

For me, EmEditor Free is great; also are Notepad++ and Notepad2, which are both Open Source. I just wish that Notepad++ is little bit faster on start, but even now it is better than EmEditor Free (I don’t know about Pro, haven’t tried it). With Notepad2 is different – it is VERY fast, but has no tabs (not so important) and no “clickable URLs” (and I need that very often).

So, I don’t understand why EmEditor Free is not available from emeditor.com (maybe with some small improvements over time). Anyway, that would be nice for not-so-rich countries, where 40$ for “Notepad on steroids” is little bit too much :-D

Well as i said in my previous post i actually agree that the price could be lower in some countries, but for other countries where $40 is close to nothing i think it’s a fair price even if there are free alternatives. Just because freeware exists doesn’t mean that everything should be free. I’m sure someone find it worth paying for emeditor even if some other editors are free or there would be no customers. But like i said i agree that a lower price for some countries could be a good idea. If Emurasoft are located in the US i’m sure selling the editor for a very low price like $5 the income would be too low to pay the salery for their employees so might not be a good idea for the company.

Anyway i’m under the impression there will be no new version of emeditor free so i’m guessing you have to use it like it is or buy emeditor pro. I don’t know this for a fact tho….just guessing.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

For $60 a month how can they even afford a computer?

Old and outdated models, low-end components, second-hand reselling… There are ways.

BTW, there are already programs that have different prices. Mostly written by Russian programmers and companies. :) I suppose that’s just because they see for themselves what’s happening and understand that sometimes lowering the price gives higher profit because of increased number of purchases from those who could not afford buying at the high price. Unfortunately, there’s always the other side of the coin: users begin to cheat, buy the soft in the country where it costs less, complain that it is unfair for them to pay more while other countries pay less for the same program…

Well, I seem to go into offtop. Sorry for that.

ZoNi
    Participant

@ gan: “Anyway i’m under the impression there will be no new version of emeditor free so i’m guessing you have to use it like it is”

I guess you are correct, but I just have to ask ;) Since I think that EmEditor Free can be very nice for many users, AND many of those users will find out that Free version is not enough for them, so they will go for a Pro. Anyway, that is a good way to make many users of own program ;) IMHO, it is better if someone use “my” free program, than competitors’ free or shareware.

At least, I would like to see somewhere on emeditor.com a link for that Free version, updated or not.

ToadLoadin

gan wrote:
    Well i actually agree. It might not be fair to say it’s cheap since that might not be the case for everyone like you said. I also think it would be a good idea to regulate the price in such countries, but might be a challenge to find the right sales model if the price should differ between countries. Also prevent that people from other countries try to take advantage of such a deal and pretend to be from Russia to get a lower price for the product…

I think you are right, set different prices for different countries would be great! People from China can purchase PC game Plant vs. Zombies from PopCap just for RMB¥28.00 (about USD$4.10), but friends in the United States told me in US, the price is USD$19.95. This marketing strategy boosts sales of this game in Chinese market greatly, with iPhone and iPad version of this game. :-)

But I also agree with your concern of the maneuverability of setting different prices. :-(

ZoNi
    Participant

I have uploaded “portable” version of latest EmEditor Free v6.00.4.

If anyone wants it, please let me know.

If author of EmEditor think it is in any way breaking of EULA, I will not give link here.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi ZoNi,

There is no “portable” version of EmEditor Free v6.00.4. I don’t know how you did it, but it is not supported by Emurasoft. Please refrain from letting others use that software. The official EmEditor Free is available in our website at http://www.emeditor.com/modules/download2/rewrite/tc_5.html

ZoNi
    Participant

Yutaka, THANK YOU very much for your answer!

I really tried to find link for EmEditor Free on emeditor.com, but it wasn’t successful :-)

Now I have placed link for EmEditor Free on my “freeware is the ware” blog ( http://zoniweb.blogspot.com/2010/05/emeditor-free.html )

Btw… I have made Portable version for myself from one installed EE Free (just collect all files from C/Prog files/EmEditor Free).

ZoNi
    Participant

So… Now EmEditor Free is again officially LIVE?
    http://www.emeditor.com/text-editor-features/history/emeditor-free/

Any chance for a portable version? :)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Please see the notes in the Download section of the front page:

http://www.emeditor.com/#download

Download 32-bit portable, How to create 64-bit portable

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.