Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EmEditor Professional 7.50 alpha 1 is available for download. The new features include:

– Box editing is now possible (allows you to insert text at each line within the box selection).
    – Binary (ASCII View) and Binary (Hexadecimal View) were added to available encodings.
    – The Indent Guides (Configuration Properties > Marks > Show Indent Guides).
    – Horizontal/vertical lines are now drawn as dotted lines.
    – Right-click in the line numbers or the left side of the window to move the cursor to start of that line.
    – Tag Format can be now specified with regular expressions (Customize > Edit > Tag Format).
    – Drag and drop editing can be now disabled (Customize > Edit > Enable Text Drag and Drop).
    – Customize > Edit > “Read Only when a temporary file opened with View Source on Internet Explorer”.
    – Customize > Advanced > “Use System Temporary Folder”.
    – The Keyboard Map window can be sorted by clicking each column.
    – INI files can be now imported to the Registry (Import and Export Wizard > Import Personal INI files to the Registry.).
    – The “Copy” command now copies the entire current line when no text is selected. The old behavior can be also selected by using “Copy Selection” command.
    – The “Cut” command now cuts the entire current line when no text is selected. The old behavior can be also selected by using “Cut Selection” command.
    – The Function Bar can be displayed now (View > Function Bar).
    – The new dialog when invalid characters are contained in the opening file.
    – The new dialog when the document contains characters which will be lost if saved as selected encoding for saving.
    – Find in Files results can be redirected in the Output Bar (Find in Files > Use Output Bar).
    – The new “Jump Next” and “Jump Previous” commands can be used to jump between results in the Output bar.
    – Mouse wheel with CTRL increases or decreases font size.
    – Mouse wheel with Right-click moves to next or previous document.
    – New commands:
    — Reload as Binary (ASCII View)
    — Reload as Binary (Hex View)
    — Save as Binary (ASCII View)
    — Save as Binary (Hex View)
    — Jump Next
    — Jump Previous
    — Cut Selection
    — Copy Selection
    — Set Word to Replace
    — Replace Next
    — Toggle Function Bar
    – The Projects plug-in was improved with solution templates, the toolbar, the parameter information tooltip, etc. It also allows you to open Visual Studio solution files as read-only.

Download:
    http://www.emeditor.com/pub/emed750a1epx.msi (32-bit)
    http://www.emeditor.com/pub/emed750a1ep64.msi (64-bit)

The portable version can be produced from the Import/Export wizard on the Tools menu after you use the installer. However, the portable version runs slower than one using the Registry.

If you tried, please post any bug reports or any other feedback on this forum. Thank you!

owilsky
    Participant

Please remember that you wanted to make the deployment of macros, modified main menu and keyboard shortcuts easier in the next versions.

At our company we simply need the macro developer to deploy the macros, the modified main menu and the keyboard shortcuts to all other computers.

Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Also, “Search All Open Documents” check box was added to the Replace dialog.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

Very nice work, thanks!

Problems/requests:
    1. Customize -> Edit: Help button does not work.
    2. “Mouse wheel with Right-click moves to next or previous document” does not work here (do I need to activate it somehow?)
    3. In Binary mode (ASCII) some control characters are narrower than normal characters, and character aligning becomes incorrect. I’m using Courier New, 10; WinXP SP3 Pro. (screenshot of the cursor position)

4. Suggestion: it would be nice to see in Binary/Hex mode also the text to the right, as most hex editors do.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

One more issue:
    5. When I open a binary file from Total Commander with F4, EmEditor does not jump to the foreground as it shows the “Select Encoding” dialog. I have to switch to EE manually with Alt+Tab.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

And one more:
    6. When I press and hold the Alt key, the EmEditor window starts flickering as if being redrawn very frequently.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:
    Very nice work, thanks!

Problems/requests:
    1. Customize -> Edit: Help button does not work.
    2. “Mouse wheel with Right-click moves to next or previous document” does not work here (do I need to activate it somehow?)
    3. In Binary mode (ASCII) some control characters are narrower than normal characters, and character aligning becomes incorrect. I’m using Courier New, 10; WinXP SP3 Pro. (screenshot of the cursor position)

4. Suggestion: it would be nice to see in Binary/Hex mode also the text to the right, as most hex editors do.

1. This is only alpha. No Help is updated.
    2. You do not need to activate anything to use Mouse wheel while Right mouse button is hold. The tab must be enabled and multiple documents must be opened within one EmEditor window.
    3. This is because some characters have zero width size.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:
    And one more:
    6. When I press and hold the Alt key, the EmEditor window starts flickering as if being redrawn very frequently.

I will fix this flickering issue soon, and will release Alpha 2 soon.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

1. OK, no problem. I just thought it was missed undeliberately.
    2. Yes, I’m familiar with this way of switching between documents and use it very often in Opera. And, yes, I have tabs enabled and multiple documents opened — and it still does not work in EE. :-(
    3. No, more than zero, but less than normal characters. I wrote a video where you can see that each time I press the Right key, the cursor moves several pixels to the right. (Download video (107 Kb); requires MSU Screen Capture Lossless Codec).
    6. Confirm fix in alpha 2. Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

It is normal that some characters are narrower than other characters. The cursor position does not need to be the same position at the ruler when fonts are proportional.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:
    One more issue:
    5. When I open a binary file from Total Commander with F4, EmEditor does not jump to the foreground as it shows the “Select Encoding” dialog. I have to switch to EE manually with Alt+Tab.

I cannot reproduce this issue because I don’t have Total Commander. Is there any other ways to reproduce this issue using Command Prompt or Explorer?

CaptainFlint
    Participant

It is normal that some characters are narrower than other characters. The cursor position does not need to be the same position at the ruler when fonts are proportional.

The font is not proportional. It’s the old good Courier New. Actually, the problem is not that the characters are different (though it is very inconvenient), but that such characters become overlapped, and the text is nearly unreadable. For example, on the same screenshot you can see that in the second line the 3rd character (“o” in “opr009Q7”) is half-visible.

I have an impression, that you just use wrong width displaying such control characters. Example:
    Suppose, the file contains the 0x01 byte and is opened in Binary (ASCII) mode. To display it, you use the inverted “A” character (suppose, its width is 10 pixels for the current size selected). But the width of the 0x01 control character (specified in the font) is less than that if the “A” character (for example, 8 pixels), and you use these 8 pixels to display the 10-pixels wide “A”. And that’s the reason why the next symbol is overlapped with this “A” character.

So, here’s my vision of what’s happening. Am I right or not? In any case, characters should not overlap.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

I cannot reproduce this issue because I don’t have Total Commander. Is there any other ways to reproduce this issue using Command Prompt or Explorer?

Yes, I can reproduce it from Explorer too. I right-click on a ZIP file, select EmEditor from the context menu and wait. It seems that nothing happens, but when I Alt+Tab to EmEditor I see its “Select Encoding” dialog.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:

Yes, I can reproduce it from Explorer too. I right-click on a ZIP file, select EmEditor from the context menu and wait. It seems that nothing happens, but when I Alt+Tab to EmEditor I see its “Select Encoding” dialog.

I cannot reproduce this issue using Explorer > select EmEditor a zip file. I tested both on Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:

The font is not proportional. It’s the old good Courier New. Actually, the problem is not that the characters are different (though it is very inconvenient), but that such characters become overlapped, and the text is nearly unreadable. For example, on the same screenshot you can see that in the second line the 3rd character (“o” in “opr009Q7”) is half-visible.

I have an impression, that you just use wrong width displaying such control characters. Example:
    Suppose, the file contains the 0x01 byte and is opened in Binary (ASCII) mode. To display it, you use the inverted “A” character (suppose, its width is 10 pixels for the current size selected). But the width of the 0x01 control character (specified in the font) is less than that if the “A” character (for example, 8 pixels), and you use these 8 pixels to display the 10-pixels wide “A”. And that’s the reason why the next symbol is overlapped with this “A” character.

So, here’s my vision of what’s happening. Am I right or not? In any case, characters should not overlap.

I fixed this issue. Just one comment: Fixed-pitched fonts can be drawn proportional especially when some characters are not found in the original fixed-pitch font, and font-linking is carried out (to support Unicode).

CaptainFlint
    Participant

Sorry for the delay. I installed beta 4 and checked there. Unfortunately, these two problems are still present. :-(

1. Select Encoding dialog.
    I installed EE onto a clean WinXP SP3 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox, particularly) and tried there with all EE settings left default. It behaves a little different, but the problem still exists. When I open a first file, the dialog is sometimes shown as foreground, but when I try to open a second file, the dialog is opened in background. It seems that the problem has something to do with the current state of the EE window: if it is opened already (no matter, visible or not, like when Quick Start is active), the dialog is opened in background.

I recorded a video with reproducing this issue, please, take a look: AVI (7 Mb; requires MSU Screen Capture Lossless Codec) or EXE (3 Mb; with built-in player, no codec required).

2. Overlapped control characters.
    I also tested this problem on virtual machine and there EE shows completely different text. Here is a screenshot of what I see on my computer and in the virtual machine by opening absolutely the same file (EE 8b4 distribution) in the same EE version. You can see that the 3rd character is shown as inverted “Q” on my machine and as narrow rectangle on the virtual machine. But the “internal width” in both cases seems to be equal, that’s why the “Q” is overlapped: it is much wider than that rectangle. Why could this be so?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I fixed (1) Select Encoding dialog issue in beta 5.

(2) Overlapped control characters.
    Check “Show Control Characters” in the Marks tab of Customize dialog box. One is on and the other is off. The character width is calculated according to rectangular box (when “Show Control Characters” is off). It is difficult to adjust this width and it is hard to explain here. Please use the settings when “Show Control Characters” is off.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

1. Thank you! In beta 5 I cannot reproduce it anymore.

2. Ah, yes, you are right. That’s a pity I have to turn it off, with this option the control characters become distinguishable instead of completely identical rectangles… :-( Anyway, it’s better than that messed overlapped text.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.