Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EmEditor Professional 7.50 alpha 3 is available for download. This fixes alhpa 2 bug:
    – Plug-ins may not been installed.

Download:
    http://www.emeditor.com/pub/emed750a3epx.msi (32-bit)
    http://www.emeditor.com/pub/emed750a3ep64.msi (64-bit)

The portable version can be produced from the Import/Export wizard on the Tools menu after you use the installer. However, the portable version runs slower than one using the Registry.

If you tried, please post any bug reports or any other feedback on this forum. Thank you!

CaptainFlint
    Participant

I tested the new Function Bar feature — quite an interesting feature. Here are problems and suggestions.

1. At first, I could not find how can I show this bar. The standard menu View does not contain such command, neither does the toolbars context menu. Only after some time I remembered about the All Commands submenu, and there I could find the command. I think, it should be located in the context menu of the toolbars and, maybe, in the standard View menu.

2. I have just noticed, that I cannot enter the main menu by pressing and releasing the Alt key. Maybe, this is because the Function Bar watches for the keyboard modifiers?

3. Some command names are too long and become cut on the Function Bar buttons. It would be very helpful if these buttons (or even all of them) had the tooltip with full name.

4. When I hover a menu command, a description of the command appears in the status bar. However, this does not work for hovering toolbar buttons or Function Bar buttons.

5. Not about the Function Bar, but anyway: maybe, it’s worth adding the two new commands (Reload as Binary (ASCII) and Reload as Binary (Hex)) into the standard manu menu, in the submenu Reload.

PS: Right-click + mouse wheel still does not work in alpha 3, even on another machine (it has XP SP3 too). :-(

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Function Bar and Reload as Binary (ASCII/Hex) are included in the Standard Main menu. If you have customized the main menu before, you will need to go to Tools > Customize Menus to reset the menus.

I will fix the Alt key issue on Function Bar and other issues.

Right mouse button must be kept pressing (not actually clicked) while you rotate the mouse wheel.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

Function Bar and Reload as Binary (ASCII/Hex) are included in the Standard Main menu. If you have customized the main menu before, you will need to go to Tools > Customize Menus to reset the menus.

Ah, I see. Indeed, this could be the case.

Right mouse button must be kept pressing (not actually clicked) while you rotate the mouse wheel.

Yes, I do keep it pressed.
    For example, in Opera I do the following:
    1. Press the right mouse button.
    2. While keeping the right button pressed, start scrolling the wheel.
    3. Immediately a page switch window appears in the Opera window, where I see the list of all opened tabs, and the mouse wheel scrolls these tabs.
    4. I scroll to the tab I need, then release the right mouse button which I kept pressed all this time. The switcher window disappears, and the selected tab is activated.

I tried absolutely the same in EmEditor, but after the step 2 absolutely nothing happens, as I scroll the wheel. Besides, when I release the right button after trying to scroll, the context menu does not appear: it shows that a) I did not release the button before scrolling started, and b) the mouse wheel is not completely ignored.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:

Ah, I see. Indeed, this could be the case.

Yes, I do keep it pressed.
    For example, in Opera I do the following:
    1. Press the right mouse button.
    2. While keeping the right button pressed, start scrolling the wheel.
    3. Immediately a page switch window appears in the Opera window, where I see the list of all opened tabs, and the mouse wheel scrolls these tabs.
    4. I scroll to the tab I need, then release the right mouse button which I kept pressed all this time. The switcher window disappears, and the selected tab is activated.

I tried absolutely the same in EmEditor, but after the step 2 absolutely nothing happens, as I scroll the wheel. Besides, when I release the right button after trying to scroll, the context menu does not appear: it shows that a) I did not release the button before scrolling started, and b) the mouse wheel is not completely ignored.

I tried Opera, and EmEditor works very similar to Opera except that EmEditor does not display the switch window. What kind of mouse and mouse driver do you use? Was the mouse wheel customized in the control panel?

CaptainFlint
    Participant

The mouse is Logitech MX300, driver downloaded from the Logitech web-site (MouseWare 9.79.025). In the Control Panel -> Mouse I have only one setting concerning the wheel: the number of lines for scrolling (was set to 3 lines by default, I did not change it).

gan
    Participant

Will version 7.50 have a field to specify the word delimiters when released?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

gan wrote:
    Will version 7.50 have a field to specify the word delimiters when released?

Not yet. Please let me know why you want to specify the word delimiters. Also, please propose the specification in details if you can.

gan
    Participant

Actually i would like a field to specify characters that should not be a word delimiter which is the opposite of what i asked…..sorry about that. Just a simple field where i can add all the characters that should not be word delimiters for each configuration and also the option to specify for all configurations.
    The reason why this would be a nice feature is because i work with textfiles that contains a lot of special characters and IP addresses. If i doubleclick on the IP address 10.10.10.10 i would like the whole address to be selected. With the current version this is not possible because i cannot specify that “.” (dot) should be part of the word and not a word delimiter. A lot of the textfiles i work with contains commands that include special characters like “-“, “/”, “_” etc. It’s much faster for me when i use another text editor where a doubleclick can select the whole command or IP address to be able to cut/copy/paste or connect. For the IP addresses/hostnames i also have a couple of shortcut keys to start a telnet, ssh or ldap session to the IP address or hostname and then i doubleclick on the IP address and use the shortcut key to connect.
    If there is any doubt i can give some examples of other text editors where this feature is available to see the behavior, but it’s pretty simple. The current version of emeditor have space and all special characeters as a word delimiter, but i would like to specify that some of these character should not be a word delimiter.

If you need further information or want me to give some more information regarding this feature please let me know.

Regards
    Gan

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

gan wrote:
    Actually i would like a field to specify characters that should not be a word delimiter which is the opposite of what i asked…..sorry about that. Just a simple field where i can add all the characters that should not be word delimiters for each configuration and also the option to specify for all configurations.
    The reason why this would be a nice feature is because i work with textfiles that contains a lot of special characters and IP addresses. If i doubleclick on the IP address 10.10.10.10 i would like the whole address to be selected. With the current version this is not possible because i cannot specify that “.” (dot) should be part of the word and not a word delimiter. A lot of the textfiles i work with contains commands that include special characters like “-“, “/”, “_” etc. It’s much faster for me when i use another text editor where a doubleclick can select the whole command or IP address to be able to cut/copy/paste or connect. For the IP addresses/hostnames i also have a couple of shortcut keys to start a telnet, ssh or ldap session to the IP address or hostname and then i doubleclick on the IP address and use the shortcut key to connect.
    If there is any doubt i can give some examples of other text editors where this feature is available to see the behavior, but it’s pretty simple. The current version of emeditor have space and all special characeters as a word delimiter, but i would like to specify that some of these character should not be a word delimiter.

If you need further information or want me to give some more information regarding this feature please let me know.

Regards
    Gan

It will be implemented in 7.5 alpha 5. It will be called a little different. It will be “Treat the following characters as alphanumeric:” in the Customize dialog box > Edit tab.

gan
    Participant

Yutaka wrote:
    It will be implemented in 7.5 alpha 5. It will be called a little different. It will be “Treat the following characters as alphanumeric:” in the Customize dialog box > Edit tab.

Thank you, that’s great news.

Regards
    Gan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.