Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Deipotent
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

Your solution would work in a round-about way, but I would still like my suggestion to be implemented as it has some advantages:

1) It’s a 1 step operation (ie. open find/replace, with Incremental Search and Use Output Bar enabled, and start typing your find/replace expression). Yes, automating with a macro would help with this issue, and I like the way that EmEditor can be scripted, but it doesn’t feel as intuitive for what I’m trying to do.

2) Most importantly – You get immediate, real-time/incremental feedback on the results via the Output Bar. This is a killer feature.

Plus, as I’ve mentioned before, EmEditor already has most of the required functionality built-in, so I can’t believe it would be that difficult to add this feature. Essentially, it needs one main thing – a “Use Output Bar” option for the Find/Replace dialogs which, when enabled, will output all Find matches (if on the Find dialog), or all the Replacement matches (if on the Replace dialog).

If “Incremental Search” is enabled the Output bar is updated in real-time with the results, and if “Incremental Search” is disabled the results will only appear in the Output Bar if Find All button is pressed (NOTE: you can add a Find All button to the Replace dialog which causes all Replacement matches to appear in the Output Bar).

The one other thing you caould add to both dialogs would be an “Extract All” button which would create a new document containing all find results, one per line.

You could take this feature quite a bit further than this, but I would be happy with the above features for starters.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Deipotent,

Thank you for explaining. I am beginning to understand your task, but the question is how many users would use this feature. Even adding an extra button “Extract All” in the Find/Replace dialog will certainly annoy some users. I want the user interface as simple as possible.

I would also like to hear from other users about this topic.

Thanks!

Stefan
    Participant

Yutaka wrote:

I hope I get was were suggested here correctly.

I myself use EmEditor also often to search, manipulate
    and extract parts of many kinds of log files.

SO this are my opinions:

1.)

As you know I like “[ ] Use Output Bar” to get a list
    of clickable LINES with matches for the find dialog too.
    (I was not able to utilize “Find In Files” for that,
    and it make more sense to have that in the ‘normal’ find dialog too anyway)

2.)

An kind of “live preview” in the output bar of what the search expression would match would be nifty.
    But there are other ways also already. Not as nifty, but…. ok.

An option “extract matches to output bar” would be handy and welcome.

The output bar should have an context menu option “copy selected to new document”
    (Instaed of the “Extract All” button)
    In the new document we can further work on extracted items.

3.)

The find dialog could well need options to decide what to extract:
    – whole lines with found matches
    – the matches itself only

That can be achieved also by utilizing regular expressions.
    That is why I had suggested to add an favorite menu
    to the Find/Replace dialog to store nifty regexs’

– the respective negation of the above (extract everything not matched)

That can be achieved also by utilizing scripts.
    But that is an often needed features so I would suggest
    to add a checkbox “[ ] Find opposite”

4.)

To add this all to the find dialog I would suggest
    to put some of that options to the [Customize] settings

as that are mostly set-and-forget options, e.g.:

[ ] Move to Start/End of Document
    [ ] Close when Finished

or to rarely used options
    [ ] Search All Open Documents
    [ ] Use Output Bar

– – –

Note: ‘utilizing bookmarks’ is a nice and nifty feature,
    but if you had used boomarks already in the document
    I don’t want to add more bookmarks from searching.

I want to add that a few of my wishes to add some additional macro commands
    are meant to provide an macro to cover some, if not all of this above issues ;-)

zhouzh2
    Participant

Yutaka wrote:
    Hello Deipotent,

Thank you for explaining. I am beginning to understand your task, but the question is how many users would use this feature. Even adding an extra button “Extract All” in the Find/Replace dialog will certainly annoy some users. I want the user interface as simple as possible.

Thanks!

I second “[ ] Use Output Bar” option.
    Many uses emeditor as a text reader, for them, bookmarks should be… well, bookmarks.
    So I suggest emeditor to replace the “bookmark all” in Find dialoag with “use output bar”, and from output bar the user will be allowed to bookmark all lines, extract all matching words or lines or copy all,etc.
    by doing this, the user is not forced to use bookmarks as a temp processing tool if he doesn’t want to, but those who do can still utilize that.
    What do you think?

Deipotent
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

Now EmEditor is at v15.1.5, and my suggestion for incremental text extraction still hasn’t made it into EmEditor yet.

Any chance this can be added in the near future ?

As already mentioned, I can’t believe it would be that much work given that EmEditor already contains most of the functionality. All you need to do is…

– Allow Find and Replace dialogs (and Find/Replace toolbar) to output to Output Bar
    – If incremental Search is enabled, then any matches are added to the Output bar as you type. This is particularly useful if you’re using a regex, since it allows you to see exactly what will be matched with current regex, thereby helping you to create the correct regex.
    – If the user also has a replacement regex, then there should be an option on Replace dialog (or toggle button on FindBar toolbar) to extract the replacement text (useful when you use Regex to transform the matches into something else).

There are some extra things that would be nice, but the above would be a start.

If you still don’t understand what I’m after, I’ll put together a screencast showing a demo of another piece of software which has the kind of functionality I’m after in EmEditor.

Please, Please, Please, can you add this feature ?

Deipotent
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.