Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Today, we are releasing EmEditor Professional v13 beta 3 (12.9.2).

Updates from beta 3 include:

– Fixed the bug where scroll bars might have be shown incorrectly.
    – Fixed other bugs.

Please see EmEditor Professional v13 New Features.
    http://www.emeditor.com/modules/feature1/rewrite/tc_41.html

=== To Download ===

Please click one of the links below to download. The Update Checker is not available for beta versions.

Updated:
    http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2227&forum=12

Notes:

Since this is a beta version, there might be some bugs left, and that is normal. Only English and Japanese user interfaces are up-to-date. The Help is not up-to-date.

This beta release can be tried with a registration key for v12. Registration keys for v13 will be different from the keys for v12. When v13 is released, some customers will need to purchase upgrades. If you purchase v12 now, you will receive a free key for v13 when v13 is released.

Thank you for continue using EmEditor!

CaptainFlint
    Participant

I tried to test the multiselection feature and found a couple of bugs. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Click anywhere in the document.
    2. While holding Ctrl, double-click on some word (different from where the first click was). Problem1: the word seems to be invisibly selected. The caret jumps to the end of the word, and when you move the mouse cursor over this word, its shape changes from the “text” into “arrow”; however, no selection background color is applied.
    3. Now, while holding Ctrl, make a single mouse click at some third place, different from the first two.
    4. Press any alphanumeric key. Problem2: The letter you typed does not appear anywhere, and from this moment EmEditor becomes unusable. It ignores all editing and navigation within the current document. After you switch to another document using tab header, EE starts to perform all editing actions, but the window contents is not redrawn: it constantly displays unchanged contents of the first document, no matter what you do.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

And I have one suggestion. With multi-selection we lost one very useful feature: selecting by words when holding Ctrl. Could you please return this feature back, maybe using different modifier, for example, Ctrl+Alt?

Deipotent
    Participant

Glad to see a new version of EmEditor with some useful new features. Bit disappointed though that my suggestion for text extraction has still not made it in though, particularly given that EmEditor already has a lot of the functionality needed to implement this feature:

http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1647&forum=4&post_id=5462

Deipotent
    Participant

Can you add a new command for multi-selection feature to select all occurrences within scope. For example, in C/C++ scope is defined as first ‘{‘ before first selected word and matching ‘}’ (NOTE: not neccessarily the first) after the selected word. Command could be “Select All Occurrences Within Scope”.

This would allow quick refactoring of eg. variables, where you often only want to change within same scope.

zhouzh2
    Participant

In vertical/multiple selection mode, SHIFT+ARROWSHIFT+F8 does not work, the cursor moves, but text always append to the last portion of the selection.

zhouzh2
    Participant

Also…
    Is there any ways to use vertical selection as well as multiple selection?
    i.e. holding ctrl+alt and drag mouse to add a vertical selection to multiple selections? :-)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

zhouzh2 wrote:
    In vertical/multiple selection mode, SHIFT+ARROWSHIFT+F8 does not work, the cursor moves, but text always append to the last portion of the selection.

I am not exactly sure what this means. If the issue still exists in beta 5, can you please let me know detail procedure to reproduce the issue? Thanks you!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:
    I tried to test the multiselection feature and found a couple of bugs. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Click anywhere in the document.
    2. While holding Ctrl, double-click on some word (different from where the first click was). Problem1: the word seems to be invisibly selected. The caret jumps to the end of the word, and when you move the mouse cursor over this word, its shape changes from the “text” into “arrow”; however, no selection background color is applied.
    3. Now, while holding Ctrl, make a single mouse click at some third place, different from the first two.
    4. Press any alphanumeric key. Problem2: The letter you typed does not appear anywhere, and from this moment EmEditor becomes unusable. It ignores all editing and navigation within the current document. After you switch to another document using tab header, EE starts to perform all editing actions, but the window contents is not redrawn: it constantly displays unchanged contents of the first document, no matter what you do.

I hope this issue was fixed on beta 5. If not, please let me know. Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:
    And I have one suggestion. With multi-selection we lost one very useful feature: selecting by words when holding Ctrl. Could you please return this feature back, maybe using different modifier, for example, Ctrl+Alt?

If you disable the multi-selection, you can still use the CTRL to select a word. For customizing the mouse buttons, I will have to wait until future major versions. Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Deipotent wrote:
    Glad to see a new version of EmEditor with some useful new features. Bit disappointed though that my suggestion for text extraction has still not made it in though, particularly given that EmEditor already has a lot of the functionality needed to implement this feature:

http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1647&forum=4&post_id=5462

I am not exactly sure what you would like to see in future versions. If you want to extract searched lines, you can “bookmark” searched lines (by pressing the “Bookmark All” button in the Find dialog), and then use the “Extract Bookmarked Lines to New File” command. You can also write a macro to automate this process.

Thanks!

CaptainFlint
    Participant

Yes, in beta 5 both issues are fixed.

If you disable the multi-selection, you can still use the CTRL to select a word.

I don’t think it’s a good idea that each time when I need to select a couple of words I should open the configuration dialog, untick the checkbox, then select the phrase, then open the dialog again to tick the checkbox back. It’s definitely easier to manually aim at the word boundaries, just like in lousy editors which do not have this feature at all. It’s a pity that I can have either multi-selection, or word-selection, but not both of them… :-(

Maybe you could add a new command, so that it was at least possible to assign a hotkey and quickly switch between these two modes instead of going to the dialog each time?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:

Yes, in beta 5 both issues are fixed.

If you disable the multi-selection, you can still use the CTRL to select a word.

I don’t think it’s a good idea that each time when I need to select a couple of words I should open the configuration dialog, untick the checkbox, then select the phrase, then open the dialog again to tick the checkbox back. It’s definitely easier to manually aim at the word boundaries, just like in lousy editors which do not have this feature at all. It’s a pity that I can have either multi-selection, or word-selection, but not both of them… :-(

Maybe you could add a new command, so that it was at least possible to assign a hotkey and quickly switch between these two modes instead of going to the dialog each time?

On beta 6, CTRL + click will select a word again. CTRL + Click will also work for the second selection while the Multi-selection is enabled. For some users, this might be inconvenient, so I added the “CTRL + click to Select a Word” check box to the Mouse tab of the Customize dialog box, and allow you to disable the feature.

Thanks!

zhouzh2
    Participant

Beta 5 still has this issue. doesn’t know if this is by design…
    how to reproduce:
    1. Do a vertical selection.
    2. SHIFT+ARROWSHIFT+F8 work as they should.
    3. type something. the selection is then be replaced with the text you input. this is fine.
    4. SHIFT+ARROW has no effect afterwards. the cursor moves, but selection doesn’t, and text will only append to the last portion of the selection, no mater where your cursor is.
    5. SHIFT+F8 changes the cursor from downright corner to upperleft corner, which is correct.
    But SHIFT+F8 again changes the cursor from upperleft to downleft, instead of returning to downright.
    this is also true with multiple selection.

Deipotent
    Participant

Yutaka wrote:

Deipotent wrote:

I am not exactly sure what you would like to see in future versions. If you want to extract searched lines, you can “bookmark” searched lines (by pressing the “Bookmark All” button in the Find dialog), and then use the “Extract Bookmarked Lines to New File” command. You can also write a macro to automate this process.

Thanks!

I only want to extract text that matches the find expression, and not the whole line where the match occurs. The link I gave to the original suggestion topic explains in detail what I’m after, but a very simple example would be – Suppose I have the following lines:

abcdefgh
    bbcdfgt
    pskdbcdjksh
    jsjkslkdj
    jksahoiehw

If I do a simple match (ie. not regular expression) of “bcd”, all occurrences of “bcd” would be highlighted in EmEditor (as is currently the case when incremental search is enabled), and the output bar would have the following (as the first 3 lines contain this search expression):

bcd
    bcd
    bcd

Each match goes on a separate line. This would allow text to be extracted that matches a search expression. This is only a really simple example – see the linked topic for more detail.

It should update the output bar in real-time with the matches (ie. as the find expression is being modified), if incremental searching is enabled. It should obviously support regular expressions, with back-references.

EmEditor already has most of the funxctionality in-place to make implementing this feature relatively straight-forward:

– Regular expression support for Find/Replace
    – Incremental search with all occurrences being highlighted

1) As CrashNBurn mentioned in the other topic, Find and Replace dialogs should allow output to Output bar

There are various other related features/options regarding this suggestion (eg. extract to a new document) that are mentioned in the other topic, so please read the other topic for more info.

With this functionality, EmEditor can be used as a text-extraction/mining tool, with real-time feedback on what is being matched (which helps with constructing the correct regex).

Let me know if there is anything that is not clear and I’ll do my best to explain it further.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Deipotent wrote:

Yutaka wrote:

Deipotent wrote:

Thanks!

I only want to extract text that matches the find expression, and not the whole line where the match occurs. The link I gave to the original suggestion topic explains in detail what I’m after, but a very simple example would be – Suppose I have the following lines:

abcdefgh
    bbcdfgt
    pskdbcdjksh
    jsjkslkdj
    jksahoiehw

If I do a simple match (ie. not regular expression) of “bcd”, all occurrences of “bcd” would be highlighted in EmEditor (as is currently the case when incremental search is enabled), and the output bar would have the following (as the first 3 lines contain this search expression):

bcd
    bcd
    bcd

Each match goes on a separate line. This would allow text to be extracted that matches a search expression. This is only a really simple example – see the linked topic for more detail.

It should update the output bar in real-time with the matches (ie. as the find expression is being modified), if incremental searching is enabled. It should obviously support regular expressions, with back-references.

EmEditor already has most of the funxctionality in-place to make implementing this feature relatively straight-forward:

– Regular expression support for Find/Replace
    – Incremental search with all occurrences being highlighted

1) As CrashNBurn mentioned in the other topic, Find and Replace dialogs should allow output to Output bar

There are various other related features/options regarding this suggestion (eg. extract to a new document) that are mentioned in the other topic, so please read the other topic for more info.

With this functionality, EmEditor can be used as a text-extraction/mining tool, with real-time feedback on what is being matched (which helps with constructing the correct regex).

Let me know if there is anything that is not clear and I’ll do my best to explain it further.

Sometimes a simple image or screenshot can explain better than many words. Can you show an image including a new check box exactly how you want it to be called, and include sample text before and after you set this check box?

Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

zhouzh2 wrote:
    Beta 5 still has this issue. doesn’t know if this is by design…
    how to reproduce:
    1. Do a vertical selection.
    2. SHIFT+ARROWSHIFT+F8 work as they should.
    3. type something. the selection is then be replaced with the text you input. this is fine.
    4. SHIFT+ARROW has no effect afterwards. the cursor moves, but selection doesn’t, and text will only append to the last portion of the selection, no mater where your cursor is.
    5. SHIFT+F8 changes the cursor from downright corner to upperleft corner, which is correct.
    But SHIFT+F8 again changes the cursor from upperleft to downleft, instead of returning to downright.
    this is also true with multiple selection.

I reproduced this issue. When a box selection converts to multiple selections (3. by typing something), SHIFT + ARROW no more works. On Beta 6, I will clarify the behavior by clearing all the selections in this case.

Thanks!

Deipotent
    Participant

Very simple mockup, and not sure of best way to implement/word it, but when “Use Output Bar” is enabled, all matches appear in Output Bar. If Incremental Search is enabled, then the Output Bar is updated with matches as the user changes the Find/Replace expression. If Incremental Search is disabled, then matches only appear in Output Bar if Find/Replace All is clicked. If “Search All Open Documents” is enabled, then all matches from all documents appear in the Output Bar, with an optional header before each documents’ matches indicating the document name – eg.

–> Untitled*
    match1
    match2

–> MyDoc1.txt
    match3
    match4

When Replace is used, it’s the replaced expression that should appear in the Output Bar (see CrashNBurn suggestion below for more options), as this allows you to use regular expressions to find matching text, and then use back references to modify the matches that appear in the Output Bar.

NOTE: For Replace dialog, you also need to add “Count Matches” checkbox, along with the “Use Output Bar” checkbox to the dialog.

It would be useful if a gutter could be enabled in the Output Bar showing line numbers, similar to how it works in the normal editor area (I say gutter, as these numbers should not be included if text is selected in the Output Bar).

You could also add a new button to the Find/Replace dialog, “Extract to new document”, which when clicked would create a new document with the contents of the Output Bar.

The above should also be done for the Find/Replace Bar, so the extract option can be accessed without needing to open the Find/Replace dialog.

The above would be great for starters as it would allow text extraction from a single document using regex, with incremental feedback on what is matched.

As CrashNBurn suggested, for Replace, it would be useful it the user could choose what the Output Bar showed:

– All found text
    – All replaced text (this should be the default IMO)
    – Both found and replaced text (have found text and matching replaced text on each line, with a tab or few spaces in between.)

Deipotent
    Participant

The other suggestions from that thread related to Find In Files:

1) Option to leave Find/Replace in Files dialog open after pressing Find button (much like the new “Close when finished” checkbox on Find/Replace dialog).

2) Ability to exclude file name from search results (ie. the opposite of the “Display File Names Only” option). To achieve this, you could rename “Display File Names Only” to “Display File Names”, and add another checkbox option, “Display Matched Lines”. The file names checkbox would control whether the filename was inserted before the matched text/line. The matched lines checkbox would control whether the entire line where the match occurs is displayed, or only the matched text is displayed.

This would allow text extraction from files. :)

3) “Incremental Search Against Current Document” option on Find/Replace In Files. When enabled, it will perform incremental searching/highlighting against the currently active document. This would aid creation of Find Expression, since you can see what is being matched as you create the find expression, without the need to switch to normal Find/Replace windows. This would not cause the matches to appear in the Output Bar.

This would make it easier to construct the regex find expression, before actually performing the find/replace in files.

4) Related to (2), have an “Incremental Search” option for Find/Replace In Files (like normal Find/Replace option), which would actually do incremental matching against files. With this option enabled, matches would appear in the Output Bar as the find/replace expression is being modified.

Deipotent
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

I didn’t hear back to you about my suugestion above, and that you understand what I’m asking for ?

Can you please implement this feature in EmEditor (if not for v13, then hopefully in a 13.x update) ?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Deipotent,

I am sincerely sorry for my late responses. The v13 feature set has been fixed already, and I am not going to add or change any more resources because we are already asking translators to translate the resources.

For future versions, it is possible to add your feature. However, I am afraid that I am not generally good at understanding English. Your feature seems so complicated that I had a hard time figuring out why this feature is so important. Can you please explain (with simple words) what is a good example when this feature becomes useful? The screenshot (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/8zvbw) doesn’t explain why the feature is important. Please write as simple as possible.

Also, can you try the new multiple-selection editing feature of v13? With this new feature, you can easily select multiple selections using CTRL + SHIFT + A, and then you can replace the strings just by typing. In my opinion, the multiple-selection editing is much more easy to use.

Thank you,

Deipotent
    Participant

The feature is important because it allows EmEditor to be used for text extraction/data mining. Sure, EmEditor allows you to extract the entire lines where matches occur, but not just the matches themselves.

For example, suppose you have a document containing a load of URL’s interspersed with other text/HTML. The URL’s are in the format http://server.com/123/321, but you actually need them in the format http://server.com/321/123 (ie. the folder components have been swapped). With the functionality I’m requesting, it would be easy to write a find and replacement expression, and then extract just the URL’s in the required format.

The real-time/incremental update of the Output Bar with the results helps when writing the find/replace expressions as you can get a visual indication of what is being matched, and what will be extracted/shown in the Output Bar.

EmEditor already has most of the functionality built-in (ie. regex, incremental matching etc.), it just needs to be hooked up so that the matches appear in real-time in the Output bar.

Let me know if you need me to explain further.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Deipotent,

Thank you for explaining. For this purpose, I believe the multiple-selection editing would be easy to use. When you place the cursor at a string (in this case, http://server.com/123/321), you will see how many strings are matched on the status bar. And then you can press BACKSPACE 7 times to delete the last 7 seven characters, and type “321/123” to change the strings.

Thank you!

Deipotent
    Participant

I think you still mis-understand me slightly. Although I gave the example URL as http://server.com/123/321 , the “123” and “321” parts are different with each URL. For example, a few URL’s might be (NOTE: the URL’s may be embedded within a load of other text, rather than them being one per line):

http://server.com/123/321 
    http://server.com/744/822
    http://server.com/378/433
    http://server.com/656/098

and I want to extract them as

http://server.com/321/123
    http://server.com/822/744
    http://server.com/433/378
    http://server.com/098/656

So, I would use a find expression of:

http://www.emeditor.com/(d{3})/(d{3})

and use the following Replacement Expression to extract the text to a new line:

http://www.emeditor.com/2/1n

IF incremental searching was enabled along with Output Bar, all the results would appear in the Output bar (one result per line), updating as I type the find/replacement expressions. To create a new document with all matches, I would click the “Extract All” button on the Find dialog.

This would not be possible with multiple selection editing you mention.

Plus, I don’t particularly want to modify the original document/text, but instead just find all text matching a pattern and extract the replacement.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Deipotent,

Thank you for explaining. I am getting to understanding your task.

How about this procedure below?

1) Press Ctrl + F to bring up the Find dialog box, type “http://server.com/(d{3})/(d{3})”, check “Use Regular Expressions”, and click “Find All”. Alternatively, you can add “http://server.com/(d{3})/(d{3})” to the marker with the Regular Expression checked, right-click on this marker, and select “Find All”.

2) Make sure “Sticky Vertical Mode” is set by selecting “Edit” > “Selection Mode” > “Sticky Vertical Mode”. This will make sure a newline is inserted for each selection.

3) Ctrl + C to select all selections.

4) Ctrl + N to open a new document.

5) Ctrl + V to paste all the clipboard contents.

6) Ctrl + H to bring up the Replace dialog box, and replace “http://server.com/(d{3})/(d{3})” with http://server.com/2/1

For 6), you could click the marker and select “Replace”, but current beta version has a bug. I will fix this on the next beta version.

I can also write a macro to automate this process if you would like.

Thank you!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.