Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Today, we are releasing EmEditor Professional v13 beta 3 (12.9.2).

Updates from beta 3 include:

– Fixed the bug where scroll bars might have be shown incorrectly.
    – Fixed other bugs.

Please see EmEditor Professional v13 New Features.
    http://www.emeditor.com/modules/feature1/rewrite/tc_41.html

=== To Download ===

Please click one of the links below to download. The Update Checker is not available for beta versions.

Updated:
    http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2227&forum=12

Notes:

Since this is a beta version, there might be some bugs left, and that is normal. Only English and Japanese user interfaces are up-to-date. The Help is not up-to-date.

This beta release can be tried with a registration key for v12. Registration keys for v13 will be different from the keys for v12. When v13 is released, some customers will need to purchase upgrades. If you purchase v12 now, you will receive a free key for v13 when v13 is released.

Thank you for continue using EmEditor!

CaptainFlint
    Participant

I tried to test the multiselection feature and found a couple of bugs. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Click anywhere in the document.
    2. While holding Ctrl, double-click on some word (different from where the first click was). Problem1: the word seems to be invisibly selected. The caret jumps to the end of the word, and when you move the mouse cursor over this word, its shape changes from the “text” into “arrow”; however, no selection background color is applied.
    3. Now, while holding Ctrl, make a single mouse click at some third place, different from the first two.
    4. Press any alphanumeric key. Problem2: The letter you typed does not appear anywhere, and from this moment EmEditor becomes unusable. It ignores all editing and navigation within the current document. After you switch to another document using tab header, EE starts to perform all editing actions, but the window contents is not redrawn: it constantly displays unchanged contents of the first document, no matter what you do.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

And I have one suggestion. With multi-selection we lost one very useful feature: selecting by words when holding Ctrl. Could you please return this feature back, maybe using different modifier, for example, Ctrl+Alt?

Deipotent
    Participant

Glad to see a new version of EmEditor with some useful new features. Bit disappointed though that my suggestion for text extraction has still not made it in though, particularly given that EmEditor already has a lot of the functionality needed to implement this feature:

http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1647&forum=4&post_id=5462

Deipotent
    Participant

Can you add a new command for multi-selection feature to select all occurrences within scope. For example, in C/C++ scope is defined as first ‘{‘ before first selected word and matching ‘}’ (NOTE: not neccessarily the first) after the selected word. Command could be “Select All Occurrences Within Scope”.

This would allow quick refactoring of eg. variables, where you often only want to change within same scope.

zhouzh2
    Participant

In vertical/multiple selection mode, SHIFT+ARROWSHIFT+F8 does not work, the cursor moves, but text always append to the last portion of the selection.

zhouzh2
    Participant

Also…
    Is there any ways to use vertical selection as well as multiple selection?
    i.e. holding ctrl+alt and drag mouse to add a vertical selection to multiple selections? :-)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

zhouzh2 wrote:
    In vertical/multiple selection mode, SHIFT+ARROWSHIFT+F8 does not work, the cursor moves, but text always append to the last portion of the selection.

I am not exactly sure what this means. If the issue still exists in beta 5, can you please let me know detail procedure to reproduce the issue? Thanks you!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:
    I tried to test the multiselection feature and found a couple of bugs. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Click anywhere in the document.
    2. While holding Ctrl, double-click on some word (different from where the first click was). Problem1: the word seems to be invisibly selected. The caret jumps to the end of the word, and when you move the mouse cursor over this word, its shape changes from the “text” into “arrow”; however, no selection background color is applied.
    3. Now, while holding Ctrl, make a single mouse click at some third place, different from the first two.
    4. Press any alphanumeric key. Problem2: The letter you typed does not appear anywhere, and from this moment EmEditor becomes unusable. It ignores all editing and navigation within the current document. After you switch to another document using tab header, EE starts to perform all editing actions, but the window contents is not redrawn: it constantly displays unchanged contents of the first document, no matter what you do.

I hope this issue was fixed on beta 5. If not, please let me know. Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:
    And I have one suggestion. With multi-selection we lost one very useful feature: selecting by words when holding Ctrl. Could you please return this feature back, maybe using different modifier, for example, Ctrl+Alt?

If you disable the multi-selection, you can still use the CTRL to select a word. For customizing the mouse buttons, I will have to wait until future major versions. Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Deipotent wrote:
    Glad to see a new version of EmEditor with some useful new features. Bit disappointed though that my suggestion for text extraction has still not made it in though, particularly given that EmEditor already has a lot of the functionality needed to implement this feature:

http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1647&forum=4&post_id=5462

I am not exactly sure what you would like to see in future versions. If you want to extract searched lines, you can “bookmark” searched lines (by pressing the “Bookmark All” button in the Find dialog), and then use the “Extract Bookmarked Lines to New File” command. You can also write a macro to automate this process.

Thanks!

CaptainFlint
    Participant

Yes, in beta 5 both issues are fixed.

If you disable the multi-selection, you can still use the CTRL to select a word.

I don’t think it’s a good idea that each time when I need to select a couple of words I should open the configuration dialog, untick the checkbox, then select the phrase, then open the dialog again to tick the checkbox back. It’s definitely easier to manually aim at the word boundaries, just like in lousy editors which do not have this feature at all. It’s a pity that I can have either multi-selection, or word-selection, but not both of them… :-(

Maybe you could add a new command, so that it was at least possible to assign a hotkey and quickly switch between these two modes instead of going to the dialog each time?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Flint wrote:

Yes, in beta 5 both issues are fixed.

If you disable the multi-selection, you can still use the CTRL to select a word.

I don’t think it’s a good idea that each time when I need to select a couple of words I should open the configuration dialog, untick the checkbox, then select the phrase, then open the dialog again to tick the checkbox back. It’s definitely easier to manually aim at the word boundaries, just like in lousy editors which do not have this feature at all. It’s a pity that I can have either multi-selection, or word-selection, but not both of them… :-(

Maybe you could add a new command, so that it was at least possible to assign a hotkey and quickly switch between these two modes instead of going to the dialog each time?

On beta 6, CTRL + click will select a word again. CTRL + Click will also work for the second selection while the Multi-selection is enabled. For some users, this might be inconvenient, so I added the “CTRL + click to Select a Word” check box to the Mouse tab of the Customize dialog box, and allow you to disable the feature.

Thanks!

zhouzh2
    Participant

Beta 5 still has this issue. doesn’t know if this is by design…
    how to reproduce:
    1. Do a vertical selection.
    2. SHIFT+ARROWSHIFT+F8 work as they should.
    3. type something. the selection is then be replaced with the text you input. this is fine.
    4. SHIFT+ARROW has no effect afterwards. the cursor moves, but selection doesn’t, and text will only append to the last portion of the selection, no mater where your cursor is.
    5. SHIFT+F8 changes the cursor from downright corner to upperleft corner, which is correct.
    But SHIFT+F8 again changes the cursor from upperleft to downleft, instead of returning to downright.
    this is also true with multiple selection.

Deipotent
    Participant

Yutaka wrote:

Deipotent wrote:

I am not exactly sure what you would like to see in future versions. If you want to extract searched lines, you can “bookmark” searched lines (by pressing the “Bookmark All” button in the Find dialog), and then use the “Extract Bookmarked Lines to New File” command. You can also write a macro to automate this process.

Thanks!

I only want to extract text that matches the find expression, and not the whole line where the match occurs. The link I gave to the original suggestion topic explains in detail what I’m after, but a very simple example would be – Suppose I have the following lines:

abcdefgh
    bbcdfgt
    pskdbcdjksh
    jsjkslkdj
    jksahoiehw

If I do a simple match (ie. not regular expression) of “bcd”, all occurrences of “bcd” would be highlighted in EmEditor (as is currently the case when incremental search is enabled), and the output bar would have the following (as the first 3 lines contain this search expression):

bcd
    bcd
    bcd

Each match goes on a separate line. This would allow text to be extracted that matches a search expression. This is only a really simple example – see the linked topic for more detail.

It should update the output bar in real-time with the matches (ie. as the find expression is being modified), if incremental searching is enabled. It should obviously support regular expressions, with back-references.

EmEditor already has most of the funxctionality in-place to make implementing this feature relatively straight-forward:

– Regular expression support for Find/Replace
    – Incremental search with all occurrences being highlighted

1) As CrashNBurn mentioned in the other topic, Find and Replace dialogs should allow output to Output bar

There are various other related features/options regarding this suggestion (eg. extract to a new document) that are mentioned in the other topic, so please read the other topic for more info.

With this functionality, EmEditor can be used as a text-extraction/mining tool, with real-time feedback on what is being matched (which helps with constructing the correct regex).

Let me know if there is anything that is not clear and I’ll do my best to explain it further.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.