Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SteveH

I find that I am using my registered copy of EmEditor much more now as a result of the recent death of TextPad.

Mostly I can make the application work the way I want and the speed and elegant interface are a real joy compared to other editors. The things that I would like to be able to resolve are:

1. Change the colour or thickness of the cursor to make it more visible.

2. Use in-line spell checking. I don’t believe either of the spell checking plug-ins accomplish this.

3. Move the cursor to the end of the last line when I am on it and hit ↓. I have build up a lot of ‘muscle memory’ doing this on my Macs and also in textPad over the years. I suspect this comes from the environment used to develop the program though and can’t be changes.

Any pointers welcome.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

1. To change the thickness of the cursor, select Accessibility Options in Control Panel, select the Display tab, and adjust the Width under the Cursor Options. This option is applicable in Windows XP/2003/Vista. In case of Windows 2000, the cursor thickness is fixed and cannot be changed.

2. That might require more CPU power, so I am not very positive about this direction…

3. I am not quite sure how the cursor should move. Can you please describe in more details? Thanks!

SteveH

To change the thickness of the cursor, select Accessibility Options in Control Panel, select the Display tab, and adjust the Width under the Cursor Options. This option is applicable in Windows XP/2003/Vista. In case of Windows 2000, the cursor thickness is fixed and cannot be changed.

Thanks for that, it worked well. I can see why I had this problem now. I usually work with light text on a dark background in text editors and this makes the look thinner than when using dark text on a light background. I image this comes from the ClearType and how it is tuned?

That might require more CPU power, so I am not very positive about this direction…

Too bad. This really comes from disliking modal dialogs and spell checking works so intuitively inline. I don’t know how other users work but I don’t often check spell as I type but it is useful to just scan a document and highlight mis-spelled words.

I am not quite sure how the cursor should move. Can you please describe in more details? Thanks!

Sorry, this was probably unclear but in any case it is really minor. In all applications on the Mac and some applications on Windows (for instance text fields in Firefox) when the cursor is positioned on the last line of text, hitting ↓ will move the cursor to the end of the line. Similarly on the first line of text hitting ↑ will move the cursor to the start of the line. I like using this option and have got used to it and it probably doesn’t hurt to have it there as otherwise it does nothing. I know END and HOME do the same thing but have never got in the habit of using them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.