Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Klortho
    Participant

I’m a convert from TextPad. I switched to EmEditor because of its excellent unicode support. But there’s one feature from TextPad that I pine for — the clip library. In TextPad, I could have one pane open on the left of my document, with a long list of “clips”. Each clip, if I double-clicked it, would insert that text. Each one had an optional placeholder so that if I had selected text in the document, the “clip text” would be inserted around it.
    In other words, for example, I could select a word like “foo” in my document, and then double-click the “em” clip, and I’d get “foo“.
    I work a lot with XML and HTML, and I really miss that clip library. Macros can do the same thing, but I haven’t figured out a way to get a long list of them in one pane.
    With textpad, I could group the clips into “books”, so that hundreds of clips were no more than two mouse-clicks away.
    Anything like that here?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Klortho wrote:
    I’m a convert from TextPad. I switched to EmEditor because of its excellent unicode support. But there’s one feature from TextPad that I pine for — the clip library. In TextPad, I could have one pane open on the left of my document, with a long list of “clips”. Each clip, if I double-clicked it, would insert that text. Each one had an optional placeholder so that if I had selected text in the document, the “clip text” would be inserted around it.
    In other words, for example, I could select a word like “foo” in my document, and then double-click the “em” clip, and I’d get “foo“.
    I work a lot with XML and HTML, and I really miss that clip library. Macros can do the same thing, but I haven’t figured out a way to get a long list of them in one pane.
    With textpad, I could group the clips into “books”, so that hundreds of clips were no more than two mouse-clicks away.
    Anything like that here?

In the next version (v9), the Snippets plug-in will have the similar feature. Please try it when the beta version of v9 becomes available. Thanks!

Klortho
    Participant

Well, I just found the snippets plug-in, and played with it a little. It is nice, but not nearly as good as the feature in Textpad.
    Here is what I’d love to see:
    – multiline snippets (this is *essential*)
    – as mentioned above, and as you said you’re already working on: ability to insert text around whatever is currently selected
    – ability to give each snippet a nice abbreviated name, rather than using the text as the “name”

P.S. the “notify me of new posts in this thread” isn’t working — I didn’t get a notice of your reply, and, yes, I checked my spam folder.

Just wanted you to know that I bought a personal license. It’s a very nice peice of software. Keep up the good work!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Klortho wrote:
    Well, I just found the snippets plug-in, and played with it a little. It is nice, but not nearly as good as the feature in Textpad.
    Here is what I’d love to see:
    – multiline snippets (this is *essential*)
    – as mentioned above, and as you said you’re already working on: ability to insert text around whatever is currently selected
    – ability to give each snippet a nice abbreviated name, rather than using the text as the “name”

P.S. the “notify me of new posts in this thread” isn’t working — I didn’t get a notice of your reply, and, yes, I checked my spam folder.

Just wanted you to know that I bought a personal license. It’s a very nice peice of software. Keep up the good work!

The Snippets plug-in will be greatly imporved in v9. In case you don’t know, you can also use HTMLBar plug-in. You might want to check your account setting from the left-side “Edit Account” also. Thanks for buying a license!

Klortho
    Participant

Thanks, you’re amazing!! When can we expect V9?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Klortho wrote:
    Thanks, you’re amazing!! When can we expect V9?

Thanks! Please don’t ask me when. :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.