Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Antnee

Is it possible yet (or can it be) to have a long-line indicator displayed in EmEditor? If you take the Zend programming guidelines for their PHP framework, they recommend that no line of code should ever exceed 80 characters and I’d like to have an optional guideline displayed in EmEditor while I’m coding. I do not want to word wrap instead as that would only affect my visibility of the code, and not others viewing it later.

Thanks

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Antnee,

You can change the background color of “Outside of regions” to a different color. To do that, please go to the Display tab of configuration properties, and select “Outside of regions” in the “Specify Part” list box, and then select a background color.

Please let me know if you have further questions or comments.
    Thank you,

Antnee

Hi,

Thanks for the info. That doesn’t give me what I’m looking for though (unless I’m doing something wrong?). That has caused a horizontal split, where the colour below is the “Outside of region”. What I need is a vertical line. If you look at this image of Netbeans you can see the line on the right, going from top to bottom

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Antnee,

If you select “Wrap by Characters”, then you will see a vertical border. This margin can be adjusted in the General tab of configuration properties.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
    Thank you!

Antnee

But doesn’t that actually wrap the characters? I don’t want an actual wrap, just an indicator that I can go beyond if needs be

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Antnee,

Thanks for your clarification. Then, I don’t have the vertical line at this time.
    I might consider that in future versions.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
    Thank you!

Antnee

Thanks. Wasn’t sure if it’s something I’d missed or not. Hardly a critical feature to include, but a handy programming aid if you want to keep your code easy to read for other people.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. Excellent software, excellent service.

Bill_Stewart
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

I would also like to have this feature in a future version.

Thanks!

Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.