Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    blondie63
    Participant

I’m using latest 15.0.2 and loading some log files i always have this message on output area:
    Inconsistent number of columns detected

Why ?
    How can i disable it ?
    Thanks
    Mauro

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello blondie63,

That’s because you are trying to open a CSV file but it contains lines where the number of columns is different from other lines. You can double-click on the message:

filename (number): Inconsistent number of columns detected.

and jump to the number’s line of the “filename” file, and correct the line by adding or remove a separator (usually comma).

If this is not a CSV file, you can simply ignore the message, and either (1) disable CSV detection by going to Configuration Properties – File tab and clear all the CSV files to Detect check boxes, or (2) Customize dialog – CSV tab and clear the “Validate CSV and Output Errors” check box.

Thanks,

blondie63
    Participant

Very strange because i’m reading apache log files..
    Anyway, i’ve deselect csv detection

thanks

jic
    Participant

I think we have a problem here. Please follow these steps:
    1. Open a blank Excel worksheet
    2. click on A1
    3. Type line1
    4. Press the ALT-Key, and hit the ENTER key
    5. Type line2
    6. Press the ALT-Key, and hit the ENTER key
    7. Type line3
    8. Click on B1
    9. Type line1 hit ENTER
    10. Type line2 hit ENTER
    11. Type line3 hit ENTER

When I grab A1 through B3 and paste it on EmEditor with Tab separated file, it gives me this error. It should not. I just have 6 cells. 1 cell (A1), has 3 lines; 3 other cells have 1 line. The problem is that EmEditor is not recognizing single cells with multiple lines. This is the representation of this copy and paste on this forum:
    “Line1
    Line2
    Line3” Line1
    Line2
    Line3

If I paste this on EmEditor, it gives me 3 errors. It’s not an error because it’s a correct Tab separated syntax. Or am I wrong? Thanks for your wonderful tool.

josé

jic
    Participant

I am using version 19.1.0 (32-bit). Thanks.

josé

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Please make sure that Tab-separated CSV definition includes “Allow delimiters in double quotes” and “Allow newlines in double quotes” options enabled. These options are disabled for Tab-separated by default.
    After I enabled these options, I couldn’t reproduce the issue anymore.
    Thank you,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.