Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Skeeve
    Participant

Hi guys,

When I right click a tab and use the function ‘Open Windows Explorer’ the corresponding directory will be opened in windows explorer.

I am using a custom explorer, called ‘Directory Opus’ which is much more convenient and this explorer is capable to re-route calls of windows explorer. In other words, if I use a such a function in any program, Dopus will open instead of windows explorer.

However, there are a few exceptions, where windows explorer is hardcoded and EmEditor is one of them. I already studied their forum and they explained that the application must use the SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems API call instead of calling hardcoded explorer.exe with the /select parameter.

Feel free to check details here:
    https://resource.dopus.com/t/free-download-manager-opens-explorer-instead-of-opus/24963/2

If I got that right, there are no other disadvantages, this is just a more modern approach and for users that only have the standard windows explorer, the behaviour is the same as before.

Much appreciated, if there is any chance that this will be updated in a future release.

Thanks a lot,
    Kind regards,
    Marcus

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

That’s brilliant! I will use SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems on the next version.

Thanks,

Skeeve
    Participant

Awesome, thank you so much!

If by any chance this function also could be added to the normal file menu, that would be a big plus. (At the moment this function can only be chosen from the tab menu if I got that right).

Again, many thanks for support!

Kind regards,
    Marcus

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

You can right-click on an file list item in the file menu, and select “Open Windows Explorer”. Please see:

https://www.emeditor.com/text-editor-features/more-features/pin-to-list/

Skeeve
    Participant

Aw, that’s how it works:)
    Many thanks!

Kind regards,
    Marcus

Skeeve
    Participant

This works great now, many thanks!

Is there a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to this function?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, currently there are no ways to assign a keyboard shortcut to the Open Windows Explorer command. I will consider that in future versions.

Thanks,

Skeeve
    Participant

Is this now possible in 16.7.1? Tried to figure out how, but still couldn’t get it to work.

Thanks,
    Kind regards,
    Skeeve

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

No, it is NOT included in v16.7.1. If this is important, I will included this feature on the next major version.
    Thanks,

Display Error
    Participant

Coincidentally I’ve just started switching over to XYplorer as my replacement for Window Explorer and stumbled across the same issue!
    Many thanks for including this in your future roadmap :)

Skeeve
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me with this.

It’s up to you but I think all users would benefit from a more flexible customization. It would be a huge plus if all the commands from the TAB section could also be used in the menus or for shortcuts.

Many thanks for your consideration, much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Marcus

LTT
    Participant

@Skeeve
    @Display Error

I think [External Tools] are also the (better) solutions when needed, where you can customize whatever you want. Not only the opened file can be handled, but also the text, e.g. $(SelText), $(CurLine), etc. And shortcut keys can be used.

And you can even use macros, which can handle RecentFileList, etc. Shortcuts can be used as well.

By the way,
    For Windows Explorer, SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems will reuse the existing window of the same path, and change the selection in it. This is the difference I see. So sometimes I’d rather using:
    explorer /n,/select,”$(Path)”
    which keeps different selections in different windows.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello LTT,

Thanks for information. I will change the default arguments for Windows Explorer to /select,”$(Path)” on the next version.

Skeeve
    Participant

I hope this doesn’t mean that this will be reverted to the old method? I couldn’t use shortcuts to my custom explorer any longer in that case which would be disappointing and I would consider to keep my current version in that case.

If that’s the plan, an option would be nice.

Many thanks for consideration,
    Kind regards,
    Marcus

LTT
    Participant

I think Yutaka means the default [Windows Explorer] entry in [External Tools].

SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems is good. I like it as well.
    But I don’t think we need to rely on it all the time.

I just suggest you launch your custom explorer via [External Tools] (and thus you can assign a keyboard shortcut to it), regardless of whatever the referred entry in Tab Menu would be.
    Is there any disadvantage for you that way?

Skeeve
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification, I didn’t realize you are talking about the [External Tool] function only.

My custom explorer (Directory Opus) only can catch SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems calls. Most of the applications I work with are already using this method. EmEditor was an exception, but thanks to Yutaka, EmEditor now also support this. So I would be disappointed if this change would be reverted.

If an application is launching windows explorer explicitly, then windows explorer will open and my custom explorer doesn’t have any chance to jump in.

Also thanks for the hint with the Tools/External Tools/Explorer function. I indeed can assign a shortcut to this function, however the current file is not being selected but I guess that’s what you want to be changed?

LTT
    Participant

dopus AnyPath\AnyFile
    ^ Running Directory Opus this way will make it open AnyPath and select AnyFile.

So, in EmEditor’s [External Tools], just add an entry for your Directory Opus. And [Arguments] is just “$(Path)”.
    This will make Directory Opus handle the current file opened in EmEditor.

Will you give it a try and tell me if this is what you want?

Skeeve
    Participant

Many thanks for implementing this in 16.8. Much appreciated!
    The undo history is also another great new feature. Comes in very handy, thanks!

@LTT
    :
    Your suggestion works too, but is remarkably slower on my machine. Thanks anyway, it’s always good to know all possibilities.

Kind regards,
    Marcus

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.