Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TheXman
    Participant

First let me say that I LOVE EmEditor Pro! Unfortunately, I’ve had to switch to another unnamed editor because I had the need to carry a text editor on my USB flash drive. In order not to have to learn and maintain 2 text editors, I had to drop EmEditor. I would prefer to use EmEditor and look forward to a portable version so I can get back to my text editor of choice. Is this something that is on your radar in the near future?

Xavier

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Don’t worry. The USB feature is already in place on my PC. It will be included in the next release!

TheXman
    Participant

That is great news! I am impatiently awaiting the release that includes portability.

Thanks.

TheXman
    Participant

By the way, if you need a beta tester for the portable enhancement, I would be happy to help. :)

Xavier

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I will let you know when beta is ready. It is already portable now in my PC. Now I am looking into U3 but it might take some extra time to support it. Do you like U3?

TheXman
    Participant

I stayed away from the U3 technology for quite a while. I recently starting using it and I actually like it. Although, most of the apps on my USB drive are portable apps not u3 apps. However, I do have a couple of U3 apps that I now use everyday. RoboForm2Go is one of them. Since U3 seems to be rather stable now, I plan to add more U3 apps as ones that I like become available. Since there is a way to create U3 shortcuts to regular portable apps, it really doesn’t matter whether U3 version exists initially. Creating U3 shortcuts to portable apps is still a bit of a PowerUser function. It’s not something that the average USB Flash Drive user would/could easily do. Therefore, I’m sure a U3 version would become very popular. At this time, there only seems to be one other real competitor that has a full-fledged U3 compatible version available.

Xavier

TheXman
    Participant

I’m sure you’re trying to get the finishing touches on the next release as soon as possible. Are there any betas available to test? I’m dying to get a portable version of EmEditor so I can finally get to the point where I no longer have to carry and know 2 different text editors. A purely portable version would work for me. U3 would be nice but not necessary since portable apps can be run from U3.

Xavier

alex_w

I asked for a portable version quite a while ago, and I’m delighted to hear that you have your private version working. The lack of a portable version is actually what makes me not use EmEditor all that much (plus, there are some other reasons, I already said that on another occasion).

But please do not delay a regular portable version for developing a U3 one. IMHO, the world has enough proprietary crap and doesn’t need U3. There’s an interesting thread about it on Slashdot: http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/20/0333226. To me, U3 looks like snake oil.

If you’re doing a U3 version anyway, please do so. But I’d really like to have a plain portable one.

Alex

andres99
    Participant

Proprietary or not, I really like U3. My wife does too. :) And uses it all the time.

Those who do not like proprietary should also stay away from MS Windows, pdf, doc and other such formats :)

Maybe, if it is not too difficult, there could be a plain portable and a U3 portable application?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.