Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GRC
    Participant

This is less of a bug, and more of a request to back off a feature change.

In previous versions of EmEditor, highlighting some text and hitting {Ctrl][F] (or [Search][Find]) would automatically copy the highlighted text into the Find input text box. That’s good.

However, when no text is highlighted, launching the find dialog will still copy the text immediately after the cursor into the input box, where previous versions simply continued to include the search field from the last search performed.

Is there any possibility that we can return to the former behaviour, where if no text is selected/highlighted, invoking the search dialog will not copy the text immediately after the cursor’s current location (or before the cursor if at the end of a line), but will instead display the last searched text. It’s just something that impacts from a usability and efficiency perspective, and does not necessarily follow a consistent set of behaviours (e.g. if I highlight text, then copy it into the find dialog; if I don’t highlight text, copy it into the find dialog anyway).

It’s the small things in a tool like EmEditor that keeps me recommending it to friends and colleagues. Thanks.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi,

Did you clear the “Use Word at Cursor in Find/Replace Dialog Box” check box in the Search tab of the Customize dialog box (on the Tools menu > Customize)?

GRC
    Participant

No, I was not aware of its existence, or that a toggle was available. Many thanks for solving my problem so promptly.

Efficiency restored, life is back in harmony. :)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I am glad you solved the problem! :-)

daviescj

I don’t see that check box in my copy of EmEditor (10.0.1).

CrashNBurn

Doesn’t exist in my version 10 either.

Neither the FindDialog, nor the Customize/Search Tab…

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

On Version 10, this check box has been deprecated, but there are new options on the menu displayed when you click the “>” button by the Find drop-down list box (in the Find dialog box). In this menu, three options available: “Selected Text”, “Word at Cursor”, and “Custom”. After selecting one of these, you can select “Save as Default” to save this option for the future.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

CrashNBurn

COOL, thanks.

That’s actually a better default (for me at least).

So many hidden things aaaaah ;)

EmEditor is as complex as Total Commander apparently…

daviescj

It doesn’t work for me. I select Custom when there is nothing in the Find box, then set “Save as Default”. I exit, then try Find again and yet again I get the word at the cursor. This is really puzzling and is the only thing I don’t like about this editor. In decades of programming, I have NEVER wanted to search for the word at the cursor. If I could disable this permanently, I would.

CrashNBurn

Open the Dialog [ > ]
    Choose Selected Text.
    Save as Default.
    Close Dialog.

Any search you perform, when you re-open the dialog when text isn’t selected the previous search string will be the Search string.

daviescj

I tried it, but still no luck. I even tried it on a blank line which had nothing to select and it still reverted to the last thing I previously searched for. I can’t clear the search history either. I have tried every combination I can think of and it still insists on plugging a search string in.

Maybe I wasn’t clear – I don’t want the editor to reuse the previously used search string – I want the find box completely empty.

CrashNBurn

I dont think it can do that, as far as I can tell…

You can save a particular string to always be there. But you can’t save “”. As well if you set a custom to a particular search string then the other features get disabled — which is non-optimal.

I can see where you are coming from though: You want it so if some text is selected, that text is in the find-box, otherwise the find-box should be blank.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.