Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BobBailey
    Participant

I have v12 and am using the CSV Mode. (great feature, thanks)

Help tells me that I can select a column and sort. I can select the column but the sort features are grey.

Do I need to do something else?

This would solve a HUGE problem for me.

Thanks… Bob

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

I believe you are opening a very large file. Please try v13 beta available in our beta forum, and you should be able to sort a larger file.

Thanks!

BobBailey
    Participant

That’s right. The first attempt was with 1M records. I did try it with 10K records and that did not work either.

I’ll try smaller later today.

Thanks… Bob

BobBailey
    Participant

Actually, what I tried yesterday was 1000 records. Should that work?

tia… Bob

BobBailey
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

v13 worked fine with 1M records and with 4.1M. Filesize is 1.4GB.

I was able to open the file(s), select a column, and sort. The sort took a while but not too long, which I expected.

My admittedly very nitpicky observations:
    I’d like to preserve the first row if it contains headings.
    I’d like to see the Select, Sort commands available as toolbar buttons.

That said, this is really wonderful and helps to solve a big problem for me.

btw, the files I am working with are public data if you need some big files to work with.

THANKS… Bob

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

BobBailey wrote:
    My admittedly very nitpicky observations:
    I’d like to preserve the first row if it contains headings.
    I’d like to see the Select, Sort commands available as toolbar buttons.

You can select all lines except the first line before you do one of the sort commands.

Thanks!

BobBailey
    Participant

That does not sort the selected column but rather the first column. Or, maybe the whole file, it’s not clear.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

BobBailey wrote:
    That does not sort the selected column but rather the first column. Or, maybe the whole file, it’s not clear.

You don’t have to select a column, please put the cursor at the column you want to sort by, and then select one of the sort commands.

Thanks!

BobBailey
    Participant

Perfect. How cool is that? Skipping steps and solving a problem all at the same time!

The problem that EmEditor has is that there is so much functionality that it is hard to explain it all. I mean this most sincerely as a compliment.

Thanks again for a great product that solves lots of problems for me at a reasonable price.

…Bob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.