Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BobBailey
    Participant

The Split File tool is incredibly useful. I’m working with some huge files, 1M+ records. Some of the tools can’t work with that many at once. So the splitter is very useful.
    I did discover, to my chagrin, that if I added a header in the header dialog box the resulting file thought it had “embedded newlines”.
    Specifically, I pasted this string:
    “ID”,”UserID”,”LastName”,”FirstName”,”ENTITY_TP”,”CandID”,”CMTE_ID”,”AMNDT_IND”,”RPT_TP”,”TRANSACTION_PGI”,”IMAGE_NUM”,”TRANSACTION_TP”,”NAME”,”CITY”,”STATE”,”ZIP_CODE”,”EMPLOYER/OCCUPATION”,”TRANSACTION_DT”,”TRANSACTION_AMT”,”OTHER_ID”,”Party”,”memo_CD”,”memo_text”,”SUB_ID”,”CYCLE”,”TargetID”,”Contact ID CS”,”Committee ID CS”,”Other Committee”,”MOC Salesforce ID”,”Last Name”,”Source – Added From”
    Which does include a newline at the end. That may have been the problem.
    Thanks… Bob

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am not sure exactly what your question is. However, in the new beta version, the “Repeat the first line as header” check box was added to the “Header and footer” page of the “Split Current Document into Several Files” wizard.

If you still use the old stable version, you might want to add “\r\n” to the end of the header you specify, which will add the newline.

Thanks!

BobBailey
    Participant

Hi,
    Actually, what seems to have happened is that only the first 260 characters (original was 400) were pasted into the Insert Header dialog.
    “ID”,”UserID”,”LastName”,”FirstName”,”ENTITY_TP”,”CandID”,”CMTE_ID”,”AMNDT_IND”,”RPT_TP”,”TRANSACTION_PGI”,”IMAGE_NUM”,”TRANSACTION_TP”,”NAME”,”CITY”,”STATE”,”ZIP_CODE”,”EMPLOYER/OCCUPATION”,”TRANSACTION_DT”,”TRANSACTION_AMT”,”OTHER_ID”,”Party”,”memo_CD”,”mem
    Here is the original that I was pasting:
    “ID”,”UserID”,”LastName”,”FirstName”,”ENTITY_TP”,”CandID”,”CMTE_ID”,”AMNDT_IND”,”RPT_TP”,”TRANSACTION_PGI”,”IMAGE_NUM”,”TRANSACTION_TP”,”NAME”,”CITY”,”STATE”,”ZIP_CODE”,”EMPLOYER/OCCUPATION”,”TRANSACTION_DT”,”TRANSACTION_AMT”,”OTHER_ID”,”Party”,”memo_CD”,”memo_text”,”SUB_ID”,”CYCLE”,”TargetID”,”Contact ID CS”,”Committee ID CS”,”Other Committee”,”MOC Salesforce ID”,”Last Name”,”Source – Added From”
    I can understand how the truncation would have caused a cascading problem. Is there a size limit to the header and footer text fields in the dialog box?
    I did some further testing and found that $(Clipboard) worked just fine. $(CurText) also worked just fine.

Thanks… Bob

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Yes, as you can see, there is a limitation of 259 characters long for the header text field. You can use the $(FirstLine) parameter to avoid this limitation, or check the “Repeat the first line as header” check box as described above.

Thanks!

BobBailey
    Participant

Ah yes… Now I see it. $(FirstLine) works perfectly. Sorry for the hassle.
    …Bob

BobBailey
    Participant

One other thing: is it possible to customize and set defaults for the Splitter?
    It’s a fabulous tool.
    …Bob

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

You can set the “Save Options” check box at the end of the wizard. Thanks!

BobBailey
    Participant

I just today used the “Repeat the first line as header” check box and it worked great. Exactly what I needed.

THANKS… Bob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.