Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    grantcv1

After 12 years of using TextPad, I have decided the time has come to move on. EmEditor is looking like the best alternative yet – I have tried numerous other editors. However, there are a few things I am not crazy about:

1) I work with a large application that convers numerous folders. Much of what I do is searching for text strings. I am getting really frustrated with all the open search results.
    – It would be nice if all the search results would group together under a single button at the beginning of the “Windows” toolbar. A drop down menu would allow me to select a specific search result.
    – Provide a command to close all open search results.
    – When I specify a folder (and subfolders) to search, make the specification sticky – keep using it. I like to set the application folder as the search folder and then leave it there. I don’t like the way in which the current folder keeps getting selected – my app is much larger than that.

2) Some of the key bindings are strange.
    – Provide me a way for me to easily configure shift+backspace and shift+enter to ignore the shift key and simply behave as a normal backspace and enter key. (I am guessing that the ability to edit the keyboard shortcuts will do the trick – but I am finding the UI a bit odd).

3) The “Marks” can be a bit overbearing.
    – I would like to be able to switch off “Marks” from a button on the toolbar.

4) I really like the sidebars, but want to use more of them.
    – It would be nice if I could split the left sidebar to show 2 different plugins simultaneously – in particular the open documents and the explorer.

5) I open many files in many different folders, and am finding the list of open documents difficult to use.
    – It would be nice if the open documents would show less of the path when showing open documents in other folders. Perhaps only that much of the path that is different from the path to the current folder. For instance, if I am currently working in c:Documents and SettingsGrantDesktopMyAppv2publicapplication and I have a folder open in c:Documents and SettingsGrantDesktopMyAppv2publicbase show files in base as the path as ..base rather than the full path.

Thanks,
    Grant

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

1) – It would be nice if all the search results would group together under a single button at the beginning of the “Windows” toolbar. A drop down menu would allow me to select a specific search result.

This is not currently possible within EmEditor Core, but it might be possible if one writes a plug-in.

– Provide a command to close all open search results.

You can use Close All command http://www.emeditor.com/help/cmd/file/exit_all.htm or Close All without Save http://www.emeditor.com/help/cmd/file/quit_all.htm.

– When I specify a folder (and subfolders) to search, make the specification sticky – keep using it. I like to set the application folder as the search folder and then leave it there. I don’t like the way in which the current folder keeps getting selected – my app is much larger than that.

You can uncheck “Use Current Folder as Default for Find in Files”.

2) Select “Keyboard Map” on the Help menu, and you can customize the keyboard.

3) You can double-click the edge of the toolbar to add the “Marks” button.

4) Unfortunately, you cannot split. It might be something to consider in future.

5) Make sure “Strip Path for Files in Current Folder” is checked on the File tab of the Customize dialog box. I know this does NOT solve relative paths as ..base. This might be something to consider in future.

Thanks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.