Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SteveH

One of the great strengths of EmEditor is clearly in its Unicode support but as far as I can see there is no easy way to insert Unicode characters unless one knows the appropriate code.

It would be very useful to have some means to allow non-standard characters to be inserted into documents, either directly within the core application or via a plug-in. The sort of thing I envisage is similar to the Mac OS X special characters palette or the way this is implemented in EditPad Pro. The latter approach has the benefit that the dialog is non-modal.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

It is probably easy to write a plug-in to insert a unicode character. I might write that plug-in. For now, you can use Character Map included in Windows to insert a character. Thanks!

SteveH

Thanks.

I do use charmap.exe for this currently but it would be nice to be able to just click a character to add rather than having to go via the clipboard.

SteveH

Having stumbled across this old thread I thought I would add that for a while now I’ve been using PopChar from Ergonis Software.

It’s expensive for what it does but it does do it well and is much better than CharMap.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

SteveH wrote:
    Having stumbled across this old thread I thought I would add that for a while now I’ve been using PopChar from Ergonis Software.

It’s expensive for what it does but it does do it well and is much better than CharMap.

I checked out PopChar, and it looks very good!

Are you now satisfied with using EmEditor with PopChar, or are you still looking for a Unicode insert plug-in? :-)

SteveH

I checked out PopChar, and it looks very good!

Are you now satisfied with using EmEditor with PopChar, or are you still looking for a Unicode insert plug-in?

I’m pretty happy with PopChar and I even use it on OS X which already has a really good character palette.

As I use EmEditor for more and more of my general writing under Windows what I would really love to have would be a good inline spell-checker to get away from modal dialogs that get in the way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.