Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hwfa

I’m using the free EmEditor 6.00.4 on Win XP Pro SP3. Sometimes, when I click Help and choose a topic I get the Help text. Other times I get an error message:
    ==== begin error message ===
    This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

=== end error message ====

I always get the same result for the same topic; in other words Help is always available for some topics and never available for others.

Whay is happening, please?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

hwfa wrote:
    I’m using the free EmEditor 6.00.4 on Win XP Pro SP3. Sometimes, when I click Help and choose a topic I get the Help text. Other times I get an error message:
    ==== begin error message ===
    This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

=== end error message ====

I always get the same result for the same topic; in other words Help is always available for some topics and never available for others.

Whay is happening, please?

EmEditor Free is not supported but I will answer to this question because this is a common question.
    In Explorer of Windows, if you display the Properties of the Help file (emeditor.chm) in the EmEditor installed folder, you should see Unclock button. Press this button.

hwfa

Errm. No. On Windows XP there is no “Unlock” button in the Properties of any file.

Please …

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

hwfa wrote:
    Errm. No. On Windows XP there is no “Unlock” button in the Properties of any file.

Please …

I saw “Unblock” button on Windows XP, but it may not be the reason in your case. I don’t know why you have this issue. This issue is common if you download the program or Help file from Internet or Email. If you have not tried yet, please install using the original installer downloaded from trusted sites. I also recommend you to try the latest version of EmEditor Professional (currently version 8) since it has so many new features and it runs much faster than previous versions.

hwfa

Errm.
    1. Windows doesn’t have an Unlock or Unblock or Unclock button. Never has had.
    1a. Some of the Help is available. Some isn’t. This clearly has nothing to do with the .chm file being locked or blocked or …

2. I did download EmEditor free from a reputable site: http://www.download.com

Please …

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

hwfa wrote:
    Errm.
    1. Windows doesn’t have an Unlock or Unblock or Unclock button. Never has had.
    1a. Some of the Help is available. Some isn’t. This clearly has nothing to do with the .chm file being locked or blocked or …

2. I did download EmEditor free from a reputable site: http://www.download.com

Please …

OK. Which topics did you click on when you see the error message? It might be simply because the link is broken.

hwfa

Just a few examples:
    1. In the Help’s Index enter “Associate” (without the quotes). Then double click on “associate” or “Associate with EmEditor”. Then select one of the entries and click “Display”. The error message is displayed.
    2. Enter Auto Save into the Index Search box. Then double click “auto save” or “Auto Save”. Same error message.
    3. Enter “Backup”. Double click “Backup”. Help text is displayed with *no* error.

Obviously I haven’t been all the way through the Help topics but it seems the error arises at random – at least I can’t see a pattern but I guesstimate that *approximately* 50\% of the topics generate the error.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

hwfa wrote:
    Just a few examples:
    1. In the Help’s Index enter “Associate” (without the quotes). Then double click on “associate” or “Associate with EmEditor”. Then select one of the entries and click “Display”. The error message is displayed.
    2. Enter Auto Save into the Index Search box. Then double click “auto save” or “Auto Save”. Same error message.
    3. Enter “Backup”. Double click “Backup”. Help text is displayed with *no* error.

Obviously I haven’t been all the way through the Help topics but it seems the error arises at random – at least I can’t see a pattern but I guesstimate that *approximately* 50\% of the topics generate the error.

I am sure these topics don’t exist in the EmEditor Free Help because these features aren’t available in EmEditor Free. Please download and use EmEditor Professional to use these features. Thank you for clarifying thse issues.

hwfa

Thank you, I’ll think about it. $40 for a text editor in these straitened times …

Perhaps it would be an idea if the program gave a more informative error message.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.