Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stevec

I have recently started using emeditor and love it loads.

However I have been having problems opening files using the right click menu (context menu) in Windows XP.

I cright click on a text file in Windows XP and select the item “EmEditor” from the context menu and nothing happens.

If I run from a desktop or start menu shortcut it runs fine.
    I am running Windows XP SP3 and I am running EmEditor Professional version 8.00

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

Steve

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

stevec wrote:
    I have recently started using emeditor and love it loads.

However I have been having problems opening files using the right click menu (context menu) in Windows XP.

I cright click on a text file in Windows XP and select the item “EmEditor” from the context menu and nothing happens.

If I run from a desktop or start menu shortcut it runs fine.
    I am running Windows XP SP3 and I am running EmEditor Professional version 8.00

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

Steve

Did you try restarting Windows? If you still have this issue, go to the Shortcut tab of the Customize dialog box, click “More Shortcuts…” button, and uncheck “Add a shortcut to the Context Menu on Explorer” check box. Click OK, and OK. Try again the same except check “Add a shortcut to the Context Menu on Explorer” this time. Click OK and OK. Now do you see the difference?

stevec

Thanks for your response.

I have tried restarting windows, I have tried running the installer again to “repair the installation”, I have tried to completely uninstall and re-install with various reboot involved and still no joy.

I have went to the configuration option you mention, switched it off, found the item was not in the context menu any more, switched it back on and found the item was now on the context menu but found it still doesn’t work.

I do realise this is probably something to do with a setting I have in Windows XP but is there anything else that can be investigated (windows registry setting, perhaps)?

Thanks

Steve

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

stevec wrote:
    Thanks for your response.

I have tried restarting windows, I have tried running the installer again to “repair the installation”, I have tried to completely uninstall and re-install with various reboot involved and still no joy.

I have went to the configuration option you mention, switched it off, found the item was not in the context menu any more, switched it back on and found the item was now on the context menu but found it still doesn’t work.

I do realise this is probably something to do with a setting I have in Windows XP but is there anything else that can be investigated (windows registry setting, perhaps)?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for your updates. I tried on Windows XP and there was no problem. Try this:

1. Open Command Prompt (Run cmd.exe).

2. Go to EmEditor install folder (usually C:Program FilesEmEditor).

3. Type regsvr32 /u emedshl.dll. This should remove “EmEditor” item from the Explorer Context Menu.

4. Type regsvr32 emedshl.dll. This should add “EmEditor” item to the Explorer Context Menu.

I hope this works.

stevec

I am sorry to say that performing the steps you detail above still has not solved the issue.

It has the ffect of removing the item from the context menu and then adding in to the context menu again but still when I click on the item in the context menu nothing happens.

I do have other items on my Windows context menu that work OK – for example a free text editor I used before finding emeditor called pspad.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

stevec wrote:
    I am sorry to say that performing the steps you detail above still has not solved the issue.

It has the ffect of removing the item from the context menu and then adding in to the context menu again but still when I click on the item in the context menu nothing happens.

I do have other items on my Windows context menu that work OK – for example a free text editor I used before finding emeditor called pspad.

Alternatively, you can try this:

1. Make sure you removed the original EmEditor menu item by going to EmEditor > Customize > Shortcuts > More Shortcuts.

2. Run regedit.exe.

3. Add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shellEmEditor key.

4. Add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shellEmEditorcommand key.

5. Set the default value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shellEmEditorcommand as “”C:Program FilesEmEditoremeditor.exe” “\%1″”

I hope this helps.

stevec

I am now 99\% sure that there is something wrong with my Windows XP setup.

I have tried the registry change you detail above on 2 seperate Windows XP installations.

The first works fine when I make the change

The problematic one did not have a key of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shell

so I created it and the keys and value underneath this.

After making this change there is no EmEditor at all on my context menu. I tried rebooting my PC without any success.

I think I am just going to have to live with the fact that the context menu doesn’t work with EmEditor on one of my PCs

======================
    UPDATE since writing this

I have managed to get a shortcup working from the context menu.
    I have done this by using a freeware 3rd party tool called filemenu tools from Lopesoft.

This allowed me to configure what I have on my Windows context menu and I have added an item for EmEditor and it works fine.

My problems appears to be solved by using this.

Thanks for all your help and patience
    =====================

Thanks

Steve

dalmore
    Participant

I have exactly the same problem but with Vista and EmEditor 8.04. As I am a long time user, I am quite surprised because such behavior never happened to me.
    I looked through the registry and did not find any rare entries. Also the event log does not show up any error associated with emeditor. Any idea where to look after solutions?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.