Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    devdanke

First, thank you Yutaka for creating EmEditor and continuing to improve it.

Please forgive me, if someone asked for this feature and my request is a duplicate. I searched forum but didn’t find anything like this request.

I like the “x” which appears on document tabs in Firefox and in Eclipse. It lets me close documents quickly. I do not like to have to right click on a tab, then read through a list of ways to close a tab, and then pick one.

I use many applications. Each one has different key strokes for closing documents. For users like me, it’s not practical to remember all these different ways to close tabs with key strokes. Also, the common Windows Ctrl-F4 way of closing documents is dangerous. It’s easy to confuse Ctrl-F4 with Alt-F4, which closes the application. I never use Ctrl-F4 because of this danger.

I would appreciate it, if there were an option in EmEditor to make an “x” appear on document tabs that I could click on to close that document. It’s an intuitive feature that is becoming more popular in multi-document applications because users like it.

Using an “x” to close thing is very common. For example, in all major operating system GUI’s there’s an “x” on every window to close that window. It’s natural to use this same idea to close documents. Please add this feature to EmEditor.

I’m very excited to see EmEditor 7. The speed of new versions of EmEditor is surprising. So many improvements in a short time. It’s amazing.

me75

I think it is unnecessary,it will occupy more space on the tabs,could u find “X” on top right corner?
    right click the tabs,more customized modes about how to close a tab,you can find

Vlad

the common Windows Ctrl-F4 way of closing documents is dangerous. It’s easy to confuse Ctrl-F4 with Alt-F4, which closes the application. I never use Ctrl-F4 because of this danger.

Ctrl-W is the same as Ctrl-F4 in most Windows applications, including Firefox.

You can also close tab with mouse middle click (wheel click).

Close button on tabs is unnecessary and is a waste of space.

devdanke

Adding an “x” button to a tab will not use any extra space. You can now configure tabs to have an EmEdit icon, a document type icon, or no icon. I am asking that users be given another choice, to add an “x” icon to the tab that can be used to close the tab. User’s who want this feature would choose it instead of the other icons. This would take no extra space.

A close button may not be useful to everyone, but many people would like it. That’s why there are “x” close buttons on tabs in Firefox and Eclipse.

People like the “x” button to close things. That’s why you see it at the top right corner of amost every window in almost every operating system on almost every computer in the world.

The Ctrl-w keyboard shortcut does close a tab in EmEdit and Firefox. But many other applications do not use this convention, for example: TextPad, Intellij IDEA, and KeyNote. This demonstrates one of the main problems with keyboard shortcuts, they’re not very universal. Ctrl-W has different uses in different programs. Not all programs let you remap these shortcuts.

Most mice have only two buttons, so closing a tab with a middle button isn’t that helpful either.

Clicking an “x” on a tab to close that tab would be a nice addition to EmEdit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.