Today, we are releasing EmEditor v16.9.0.
Updates from v16.8.1 include:
New General Features
- Greatly improved speed for the Remove Newline Characters command and Replace All (when the find string contains newline characters and the replace string does not) operations. See the test results table below.
|v16.5||v16.6||v16.9||Comparison to v16.5|
|Replace All “9\n” with “a”||32.7 seconds||22.4 seconds||0.17 seconds||192 times faster|
|Undo the above||73.5 seconds||29.2 seconds||27.8 seconds||2.64 times faster|
|Remove Newline Characters||34.8 seconds||22.4 seconds||0.12 seconds||290 times faster|
|Undo the above||105.3 seconds||13.9 seconds||6.95 seconds||15.2 times faster|
|Replace All “0123456789\n” with “” (blank)||13.8 seconds||12.4 seconds||0.078 seconds||177 times faster|
|Undo the above||7.7 seconds||0.09 seconds||0.078 seconds||99 times faster|
* All test conditions are the same as New in Version 16.6.
- Greatly improved the speed of the Advanced Filter by selecting the new Match Whole String check box when many filters are defined.
|v16.8||v16.9 (Match Whole String selected)||Comparison|
|Advanced Filter, Match Case deselected||115 seconds||0.10 seconds||1,150 times faster|
|Advanced Filter, Match Case selected||123 seconds||0.06 seconds||2,050 times faster|
* 200,000 lines (56.3 MB) CSV file (UTF-8), Use Advanced Filter, 50,000 search from the first column conditions, Logical Disjunction (OR) selected, Windows 10 (64-bit) Core i7-4790 16GB RAM
- IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are clickable now, and clicking IPv4/IPv6 addresses will display a web browser and show the IP information. Moreover, hovering over IPv4 addresses will display the country name as a tooltip where the IPv4 address was registered (In order to use this feature, you will need to download an additional file. See Remarks below.) The behaviors are customizable by editing the macro file.
- Hexadecimal colors and RGB colors can be clicked to show the Color Picker and allows you to select and change the color value.
- The behaviors of Active Strings (including URLs, email addresses, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, strings enclosed by quotation marks, HTML Character Reference, Universal Character Names/Percent-encoding, Hexadecimal colors, and RGB colors) can be customized to run macros, external tools, or EmEditor commands, in addition to previous behaviors.
- The Link page of configuration properties allows you to specify which strings act as Active String. The new Active String page of the Customize dialog box allows you to specify a behavior for each event such as Left Click, Left Double-click, Middle Click, and Right Click of each Active String.
- The Match Whole String check box was added to the Advanced Filter dialog box.
- The Active String list was added to the Link page of configuration properties
- The Active String page was added to the Customize dialog box.
- The Add Additional Information to the Undo/Redo History check box was added to the History page of the Customize dialog box.
- The Remove the first line from all documents except the first document check box was added to the Combine Documents into a Single File wizard.
- Filter in Column
- Customize Active String
Plug-in API New Features
- Added EE_SHOW_TIP and EE_GET_ACTIVE_STRING messages.
- Added Editor_ShowTip and Editor_GetActiveString inline functions.
- Added TIP_INFO and ACTIVE_STRING_INFO structures.
- Added EEID_FILTER_COLUMN and EEID_CUSTOMIZE_ACTIVE_STRING commands.
Macro New Features
- Added the ShowTip method to the Window object.
- Added the ActiveString method to the Document object.
- Fixed the bug where the Multiline option was not saved in the Find dialog box.
- Fixed a certain bug related to Find in Files.
- Fixed the bug where the Backup Folder was not saved in the Replace in Files dialog box.
In order to inspect the name of the country where the IP address is registered, download GeoIPCountryCSV.zip, unzip and place the extracted CSV file in:
- If an EmEditor installer was used to install EmEditor (using the Registry):
- If a portable version of EmEditor is used (using INI files):
“data” subfolder of the EmEditor installed folder, i.e.
It is recommended to download and update the above file periodically since the database is updated frequently.
The new IPTip.jsee macro uses the GeoLite downloadable CSV data created by MaxMind.
If you use the Installer version, you can select Check for Updates on the Help to download the newest version. If you use one of the other versions, you can go to the Download page to download the newest version.
In order to reduce the installer size, the Help file is not included in the installer. You can view the Web Help with your browser, or download the separate Help file. If you would like to download the separate local Help file, please go to the Download Help page.
This version is available free if you have a lifetime license or if your maintenance plan is valid as of June 6, 2017. Your registration keys might be found in the Emurasoft Customer Center. The registration key for v16 is the same as the key for v15 and v14.
Thank you for using EmEditor!