Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ArtemZ

Hi,
    Is there are any chance to get native EmEditor for linux operating systems? This is not really fun to install wine only for emeditor support, even more – this is not cool to use wine at all. Of course, emeditor is proprietary application, but you can build deb and rpm packages for linux. Better this QT or Gnome support

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I don’t think it is possible to support Linux platform. I wouldn’t be able to afford resources for Linux development. The reality is more people request updates for Windows versions.

ldm
    Participant

Is it possible to run EmEditor under Wine@Linux? How?

ldm
    Participant

Where is it possible to download earlier versions of EmEditor?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

You can download older versions at:

http://www.emeditor.com/modules/download2/rewrite/tc_3.html

Thanks!

mcdogfood
    Participant

Having used Windows 8, I am now seriously considering moving over to a Linux platform, probably Ubuntu. EmEditor is the only application that is keeping me on Windows.

I can use vim, or gEdit, or any number of other editors, but EmEditor really is such a pleasure to use. To me it’s more than a pleasure – it’s essential to my work.

I totally understand why you concentrate on Windows – as a developer, I have to focus on Windows too, but it would be lovely not to have to work in a Windows environment.

Either way, I will keep using EmEditor!

pablo
    Participant

+1 for linux version. emeditor is the best, but i have to reboot into windows to use it. More and more people are looking to get away from microsoft dependency and linux runs great and lean, im sure emeditor could work well on it and be a pioneer as paid software on an opensource OS.

Meir
    Participant

Any new thoughts about it?
    Maybe integration of the most recent version of EmEditor with the most recent version of WINE? Pleeease!
    Please don’t make me switch to another GUI editor, an inferior one, but one that runs on both Linux and Windows…
    Meir

Meir
    Participant

Dear Yutaka,
    How about making EmEditor run over Wine/Crossover. Crossover claims to support Ver. 8.04. This is an antique.. I tried to install Ver.16.1.3 on top of CrossOver and it obviously failed. Can you devote enough resources for at least such an adaptation to Linux?

regards
    Meir

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I am sorry that I didn’t respond sooner, but I just don’t have enough time to support Unix environments. I will look into that when I have time. The reason that EmEditor v8 works but not v16 is probably because EmEditor v16 uses new APIs introduced in Windows 10.

Thanks,

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

In v18.8.0, I fixed an issue with Ubuntu + Wine where EmEditor could crash during its launch. Please let me know if the latest version of EmEditor still crashes with Wine.

jesus2099
    Participant

I have abandoned Windows so am really interested in this.
    Cross-OS would be a good competitive asset among the text editors “for geeks”.

I guess in the meantime we should try to install with Wine.
    If anyone achieves that, please write a small step by step How To in the topic linked above.

jesus2099
    Participant

I would very much like it on Linux too.
    I have my lifetime licence for EmEditor but have to use Geany on my Linux (Debian 10, XFCE / and / Raspbian 10, Raspberry Pi OS, LXDE).
    I completely abandoned Windows for Linux, except on my office computer, but it’s on my personal PC that I would like to go on using EmEditor of course. :)

I know more and more people switching to Linux, especially “geeks”.
    It must be difficult to compete with the other Notepad++, Scite, Ultra Edit, etc.
    I think a cross platform could give another good competitive asset.
    I guess “geeks” are more prone to use EmEditor than the average Joe who just uses wordpad.exe or notepad.exe.

But it’s true that it must be totally difficult to have developers very knowledgeable in both OS and with the time to manage both OS.
    Except if there is some framework that could allow a single code to compile for both OS?

In the meantime, maybe we should try hard to install EmEditor recent version with Wine, but I really have no clue how to do that.
    I already tried with foobar2000 but I couldn’t achieve a good result and am now using Audacious instead, forgot about all my loved features.

netsking
    Participant

Searching “Linux” in the forum, I found this threads. Is anyone successful to install EE in Linux with wine/wine64?
    I tried to install the EE v23.1.2.msi in the latest both Linux Mint and wine/wine64, but it was failure.
    Wondering if msi causes the problem, if EE can provide .exe version, it is worth to try.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.