- October 19, 2019 at 6:11 am #26240
I would like to use bookmarks, but …
the bookmarks (including coloring) will be removed, namely after
1. copying a file to another folder (drive does not matter)
2. renaming a file
For this reason I am currently using –> outlines as an alternative.
I get a program update with a HISTORY.TXT and create bookmarks in this file.
The next update overwrites the file HISTORY.TXT (including bookmarks).
I would like to create a backup of HISTORY.TXT with bookmarks,
but this is currently not possible without losing the bookmarks.
Could you please make a change here?
Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1903 (OS build 18362.418)
EmEditor Professional (64-bit) Version 19.3.0October 20, 2019 at 10:37 am #26241Yutaka EmuraKeymaster
Is the “Save Cursor Position and Bookmarks” option in the History page of the Customize dialog box set?
1. I am not sure if I understand your question. Copy a file from which folder to which folder? Can you please write a simple step-by-step to reproduce the issue?
2. If the name of a file was renamed outside of EmEditor, EmEditor will not be able to see the changes.October 20, 2019 at 6:15 pm #26242
thank you for your quick reply.
Here are my settings:
☑ Save Cursor Position and Bookmarks
Number of Days to Save: 3000
☑ Never Clear Bookmarks
2. If the name of a file was renamed outside of EmEditor, EmEditor will not be able to see the changes.
Thank you for that information, I didn’t know that.
1. I am not sure if I understand your question. Copy a file from which folder to which folder?
Can you please write a simple step-by-step to reproduce the issue?
Here is a simple example, created with the 64 bit installed version:
1. create the file Bookmarks.txt in D:\Data
2. enter a few lines, e.g. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and create a bookmark in every second line
3. save and close the file
4. Copy the file D:\Data\Bookmarks.txt to I:\Data\Bookmarks.txt.
5. when I open the file I:\Data\Bookmarks.txt, the bookmarks no longer exist.
Currently I only have the possibility to use the function “Save As… F12”,
to keep the bookmarks.October 20, 2019 at 6:29 pm #26243
Outside of EmEditor the bookmarks are currently lost,
when I copy, move or rename a file.
[… … or when opening a text file created with the 64 bit version with the 32 bit version and vice versa …]October 20, 2019 at 6:40 pm #26244
[… … or when opening a text file created with the 64 bit version with the 32 bit version and vice versa …]
Sorry, I meant
bookmarks are also lost when opening a text file created with the 64 bit version with the 32 bit version and vice versa.October 24, 2019 at 11:54 am #26247LTTParticipant
Bookmarks are important to some extent.
But I feel RecentFileList is not a suitable/reliable place to store bookmarks:
▲ Not all the items in RecentFileList need bookmarks.
▲ The items in RecentFileList could be flushed away when one opens many files at a time. (See also: the 2 in: https://www.emeditor.com/forums/topic/open-save-options/ )
▲ A crash could mess up the bookmarks sometimes (due to the changed order).
Save bookmarks separately from RecentFileList.
If so, I don’t have to keep a very long RecentFileList.
And let me link a relevant thread here:
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.