New in Version 10
New Compare and Synchronize Scrolling features
The new version of EmEditor allows you to compare two recently viewed files with ease. The comparison results are colored within the documents, arranged side by side. The Diff plug-in has been deprecated. After comparison, the Rescan command allows you to compare modified documents again with the same conditions. The Synchronize Scrolling command scrolls two recently viewed documents synchronously without comparison.
New Spelling features
The new version of EmEditor allows you to check spelling in various languages using the Hunspell library, already used by many applications like OpenOffice and Firefox. As you type, misspelled words are marked with red wiggly underlines. EmEditor allows you to correct misspelled words quickly and easily. The new EmEditor installer includes a U.S. English dictionary. Additional dictionaries are available for download at the OpenOffice.org. After download a dictionary, change the file extension from .oxt to .zip, extract the Zip file, and then copy *.dic and *.aff files into the Dictionaries sub folder of the EmEditor install folder (usually C:\Program Files\EmEditor\Dictionaries).
Improved Vertical Selection Editing
Vertical selection of zero width at the right of the end of lines will cause the selection to move to the end of each line in the selection. Then typing will insert text at the end of each line (even if line lengths are not the same). To begin vertical selection, drag the mouse while pressing the ALT key. For information about the previous features of vertical selection, please refer to Vertical Selection Editing.
The new Numbering command allows you to insert sequential numbers or characters at the cursor position or vertical selection.
Outline plug-in new features
The Outline plug-in now allows you to hide matched strings or replace matched strings with regular expressions, and displays them in the Custom Bar (the Custom type only).
ASCII View side by side with Binary (Hexadecimal View)
Binary (Hexadecimal View) mode now includes ASCII view side by side.
Find Dialog New Features
The Find dialog box now includes the new Count Matches check box, which displays the number of matches in the status bar when you have searched for a string. The > button on the right side of Find drop-down list now includes Selected Text, Word at Cursor, Custom, Save as Default, and Multiline commands.
Find in Files Dialog New Features
The > button on the right side of Find drop-down list now includes Selected Text, Word at Cursor,Custom, and Save as Default commands. Another > button was added to the right side of the File Types drop-down list box. This button includes Current File Type, Current File, and Save as Default. The …button on the right side of the In Folder drop-down list box was changed to the > button. This button includes Current Folder, Parent Folder, Grand Parent Folder, Custom, and Save as Default commands.
Other New Features
- The CSV mode now allows you to include new lines in a cell. Embedded returns are displayed as M (CR) and/or J (LF) in the reversed background color when the Show Control Characters check box is checked in the Marks tab of configuration properties.
- The context menu displayed by right-clicking on a folder in Windows Explorer now includes the newFind in Files with EmEditor command.
- The auto recovery feature now opens the last used workspace automatically (the Recovered Filesdialog has been deprecated). When updating EmEditor with the new installer, EmEditor windows will be automatically closed, and they will be reopened as the last used workspace.
- The new installer now allows several language editions in a single installer (currently English and Japanese are included).
- The new Update Checker that came with the new installer is used now (v9 Update Checker has been deprecated).
- New command line option /cmp was added.
- When localized language files are old, EmEditor now automatically uses English strings and dialog box resources whenever possible.
- EmEditor now supports a combination of left (&l), center (&c), and right (&r) align for Print header and footer.
- Binary (Hexadecimal View) mode now includes ASCII view side by side.
- Vertical selection is now limited to logical selections (multiple selections because of line wraps do not count any more).
- In the previous version, a new untitled document was opened after canceling the dialog box that appears when reloading a file with invalid characters. This has been fixed, except when opening a huge file asynchronously.
- Default PHP highlight strings were updated to the latest PHP function list.
- A new replacement expression (?n:true_expression:false_expression) was added to the regular expression syntax.
New plug-in features
- The WordComplete plug-in now works inside Snippet placeholders.
- The global option was added to the Snippets plug-in regular expression.
- Synchronize selection to cursor position, Set focus in the custom bar at first run, ESC key to close the custom bar, and ENTER key or Go command to close the custom bar check boxes were added to the Outline plug-in Properties.
- Hide matched strings/replace with regular expressions check box and Regular Expression text box were added to allow you to hide matched strings or replace matched strings with regular expressions.
Word Complete plug-in
- The Exclude Matched and Same-Length Word from the Candidate List check box was added to theOptions tab of the plug-in properties.
- The Explorer plug-in did not always synchronize the selection with an opened active file. This bug was fixed.
- Spelling tab was added to Configuration Properties.
- The Standard Error drop-down list box was added to the External Tool Properties, and the Include Standard Error check box was deprecated. This change allows you to specify the Standard Output and the Standard Error outputs separately.
- The Find dialog box now includes the new Count Matches check box, which displays the number of matches in the status bar when you have searched for a string.
- Category name is now displayed when you press an assigned key in the Press New Shortcut Key text box.
- The Files or Folders to Ignore text box (Find in Files > Advanced) now allows up to 15,999 characters.
- The > button on the right side of Find/Replace drop-down list (Find/Replace/Find in Files/Replace in Files dialog) now includes Selected Text, Word at Cursor, Custom, Save as Default, and Multilinecommands. The = button was deprecated.
- Another > button was added to the right side of the File Types drop-down list box (Find in Files/Replace in Files dialog). This button includes Current File Type, Current File, and Save as Default commands.
- The … button on the right side of the In Folder drop-down list box (Find in Files/Replace in Filesdialog) was changed to the > button. This button includes Current Folder, Parent Folder, Grand Parent Folder, Custom, and Save as Default commands.
- Default PHP highlight strings were updated to the latest PHP function list.
- Tab order was changed in the Replace/Find in Files/Replace in Files dialog boxes.
- Wiggly line and Dotted Line were added to the (Font Style) drop-down list box in the Display tab of configuration properties.
- Horizontal Grid check box was added to the Scroll tab of configuration properties. The Dotted Linecheck box was deprecated.
- The Header check box and the Footer check box were added to the Print tab of Configuration Properties.
- The Delete All button was added to the My Macros tab of the Customize Macros dialog box.
- The Use English when Localized Item Not Available check box was added to the Language tab of theCustomize dialog box.
- The 256 color button in the Toolbars dialog box was deprecated.
- The Insert Numbering dialog box was added.
- Save as UTF-16LE with Signature
- Save as UTF-16LE without Signature
- Save as UTF-16BE with Signature
- Save as UTF-16BE without Signature
- Save as UTF-8 with Signature
- Save as UTF-8 without Signature
- HTML/XML Character Reference to Unicode
- Unicode to HTML/XML Character Reference
- Universal Character Names to Unicode
- Unicode to Universal Character Names
- Select Cell
- Next Cell
- Previous Cell
- Check Spelling
- Check Spelling in Quoted Lines
- Check Spelling in String Enclosed by Single Quotation Marks
- Check Spelling in String Enclosed by Double Quotation Marks
- Check Spelling in Comments
- Check Spelling in Script
- Check Spelling in Tags
- Check Spelling in Highlighted Text
- Check Spelling in Hyperlinks
- Check Spelling in Unspecified Text
- Check Spelling in All
- Previous Misspelling
- Next Misspelling
- Spelling Suggestion
- Enable Shortcut Keys
- Line Numbers
- Wide Spaces
- CR and LF with Different Marks
- Control Characters
- Indent Guides
- Tab Columns
- Indent Columns
- Auto Indent
- Insert Spaces for Tabs
- Wrap Indent
- Compare with Options
- Synchronize Scrolling
- Synchronize Scrolling with Options
- Ignore Leading Spaces
- Ignore Trailing Spaces
- Ignore Embedded Spaces
- Ignore Cases
- Ignore Returns
- Ignore Comments
- Ignore Encodings
- Synchronize Vertical Scrolling
- Synchronize Horizontal Scrolling
- Synchronize Cursor Positions
- Restore Window Positions when Finished
- Save Options
- Previous Change
- Next Change
- Previous Changed Line
- Next Changed Line
- Restore Tabbed Window Position
- Synchronize Horizontal Scrolling when Split
- Synchronize Vertical Scrolling when Split
- Last Accessed Document
- Least Accessed Document
- Right Document
- Left Document
New Toolbar Buttons
|Compare||Compares two recently viewed documents without specifying options.|
|Rescan||Rescans the compared documents and refresh the results.|
|Synchronize Scrolling||Synchronizes scrolling of two recently viewed documents without specifying options.|
|Reset||Resets comparison or synchronized scrolling mode and clears comparison results.|
|Line Numbers||Shows or hides line numbers.|
|Ruler||Shows or hides the ruler.|
|Auto Indent||Enables or disables the auto indent.|
|Insert Spaces for Tabs||Inserts spaces for tabs.|
|Wrap Indent||Enables or disables the wrap indent.|
|Tab Columns||Displays a popup menu to select tab columns.|
|Indent Columns||Displays a popup menu to select indent columns.|
|HTML/XML Character Reference to Unicode||Decodes the selected text from HTML/XML Character Reference.|
|Unicode to HTML/XML Character Reference||Encodes the selected text to HTML/XML Character Reference.|
|Universal Character Names to Unicode||Decodes the selected text from Universal Character Names.|
|Unicode to Universal Character Names||Encodes the selected text to Universal Character Names.|
|Check Spelling||Checks spelling of the document.|
Macros new features
- SpellProp Object
- Spell property was added to the Config Object.
- HorizontalGrid property was added to the Scroll tab of Configuration Properties.
- The Find method now returns the number of the occurrences of the matched string if the eeFindCount flag is specified.
Plug-in API new features
- EE_GET_WORD message.
- Editor_GetWord inline function.
- EI_GET_ACTIVE_DOC, EI_SET_ACTIVE_DOC, EI_GET_SYNC_SESSION, and EI_GET_LOC_DLL_INSTANCE flags (EE_INFO message).
- byteCrLf field and FLAG_GET_CRLF_BYTE flag was added to the GET_LINE_INFO structure.