New in Version 14
Enhanced Multiple Selections
When multiple selections are made, cursors appear simultaneously at multiple locations.
Percent-encoding (URL Encoding)
Encodes or Decodes the selected text using the Percent encoding (URL Encoding). If the mouse pointer hovers on the text encoded with percent encoding, a tooltip will automatically appear with decoded text.
Move Line Up/Down
The Move Line Up and Move Line Down commands were added. By default, these commands were assigned as CTRL + SHIFT + UP and CTRL + SHIFT + DOWN. If these shortcut keys don’t work, please go to Configuration Properties, Keyboard tab, and click Reset, or assign your favorite shortcut keys to these commands.
(v14.2 new) User-defined guides can be set now. User-defined guides are vertical lines at specified columns on the editor for each configuration. User-defined guides allow you to easily view vertically arranged source code or text files. The context menu when right-clicking on the Ruler now includes the Add/Remove User-Defined Guide command, which conveniently add a new guide, or remove an existing guide at the mouse-pointed position.
Vertical Indicator and Scroll Bar Markers
- (v14.3 new) The new Vertical Indicator to highlight changed/saved lines on the left edge of EmEditor windows. “Yellow” means changed lines, and “dark green” means changed but saved lines.
- (v14.3 new) The new markers on the vertical scroll bar allows you to view changed lines, saved lines, bookmarks, lines matched with searched strings, comparision results and the cursor position. The left half side changed (“yellow”) and saved (“dark green”) lines. The center zone indicates searched strings (“light green”). The right side indicates bookmarks (“brown”) and comparison results (“green”, “pink”, and “blue”). The cursor position is indicated by a blue horizontal line. All the colors can be customized.
Outline Bar and Outline Guide
- (v14.4 new) The Outline plug-in features are now included in the EmEditor core. The Outline plug-in has been deprecated. A new Outline button was added to the toolbar. Clicking on the right side of the button (Down arrow) will display a menu including many commands related to Outlining. Clicking on the Outline button toggles both the Outline Bar and the Outline Guide.
- (v14.4 new) The Copy and Copy All commands were added to the right-click menu of the Outline Bar.
- (v14.4 new) If the main menu has been already customized, the new Outline Bar and Outline Guide commands will be added to the View sub menu automatically. If the main toolbar has been already customized, the new Outline button will be added to the toolbar automatically.
- (v14.4 new) When collapsed text is copied and pasted, the collapse/expand state in the copied text is maintained during the copy and paste.
- (v14.5 new) The Synchronize Outline Bar and Outline Guide command. This will synchronize the expand/collapse status of both the Outline Bar and the Outline Guide.
- (v14.5 new) The expand/collapse status of the outline guide and the outline bar tree will be retained when you switch documents, drag and drop the items on the outline bar tree, drag and drop the selected text to move or copy.
Other New Features
- When the Find dialog box is open, selecting the Find command or pressing CTRL + F now sets the keyboard focus to the Find drop-down list box now. Similarly, the Replace, Find in Files, and Replace in Files dialog boxes now sets the keyboard focus to the Find drop-down list box when activated by the shortcuts or selecting from menus.
- Optimized to reduce the screen refresh when the Customize Macros or Customize Menus dialog is closed.
- Addressed the issue where EmEditor might have crashed when TeamViewer was run simultaneously and signed in.
- (v14.1 new) Enhanced multiple selections: you can now use SHIFT + RIGHT or LEFT keys to extend the selection while multiple selections are made.
- (v14.1 new) Line comments up to 15 characters long can be specified now (used to be up to 3 characters long).
- (v14.1 new) The color of Bookmarked lines can be specified now.
- (v14.1 new) The current line color is now kept even while a selection is made.
- (v14.1 new) You can now set a default initial folder for each configuration. When an untitled document is saved, the Save As dialog box will be initialized with the specified initial folder. Notes that if a known folder (such as Documents, Pictures, etc.) is specified, the Windows system might redirect the folder location. If the Sky Drive integration is set on Windows 8.1, the Documents folder might be redirected to the Sky Drive Documents folder.
- (v14.2 new) CTRL + SHIFT + I was assigned to the default keyboard shortcut for the Insert Special Character command.
- (v14.2 new) If the Code Value text box was last used in the Insert Special Character dialog box, the new version now initially sets the keyboard focus to the Code Value text box when you open the dialog box again.
(v14.2 new) New HTML 5 elements and CSS 3 properties were added as highlight words to the default HTML and CSS configurations.
- (v14.2 new) The new Insert Macron command allows you to insert characters with a macron. Moreover, the existing insert accent character commands were extended to type the following additional characters (please see Insert Special Characters for the complete list):
|Accent Type||To type this||Press (default keyboard shortcuts)|
|Grave||Ǹ, ǹ, Ỳ, ỳ||CTRL + ` (ACCENT GRAVE), the letter|
|Acute||Ć, ć, Ĺ, ĺ, Ń, ń, Ŕ, ŕ, Ǵ, ǵ, Ḱ, ḱ, Ḿ, ḿ, Ṕ, ṕ, Ẃ, ẃ||CTRL + ‘ (APOSTROPHE), the letter|
|Circumflex||Ĉ, ĉ, Ĝ, ĝ, Ĥ, ĥ, Ĵ, ĵ, Ŝ, ŝ, Ŵ, ŵ, Ŷ, ŷ||CTRL + SHIFT + ^ (CARET), the letter|
|Tilde||Ĩ, ĩ, Ṽ, ṽ, Ỹ, ỹ||CTRL + SHIFT + ~ (TILDE), the letter|
|Diaeresis||Ẅ, ẅ, Ẍ, ẍ, ẗ, ¨||CTRL + SHIFT + : (COLON), the letter or SPACE|
|Ring||Ů, ů||CTRL + SHIFT + @, the letter|
|Stroke||Ł, ł, Ⱥ, Ȼ, Ɇ, ɇ||CTRL + /, the letter|
|Caron||Č, č, Ď, ď, Ě, ě, Ľ, ľ, Ň, ň, Ř, ř, Š, š, Ť, ť, Ž, ž, Ǧ, ǧ, Ǩ, ǩ, ǰ, Ȟ, ȟ, ˇ||ALT + SHIFT + ^ (CARET), the letter or SPACE|
|Macron||Ā, ā, Ē, ē, Ō, ō, Ū, ū, Ȳ, ȳ, Ḡ, ḡ, Ī, ī, ¯||ALT + – (HYPHEN), the letter or SPACE|
|Diaeresis + Grave||Ǜ, ǜ||CTRL + SHIFT + : (COLON), CTRL + ‘ (APOSTROPHE), the letter|
|Diaeresis + Acute||Ǘ, ǘ, Ḯ, ḯ||CTRL + SHIFT + : (COLON), CTRL + ‘ (APOSTROPHE), the letter|
|Diaeresis + Caron||Ǚ, ǚ||CTRL + SHIFT + : (COLON), ALT + SHIFT + ^ (CARET), the letter|
|Diaeresis + Macron||Ǖ, ǖ, Ǟ, ǟ, Ȫ, ȫ||CTRL + SHIFT + : (COLON), ALT + – (HYPHEN), the letter|
- (v14.3 new) Middle-click on a scroll bar now scrolls the document to the specified position.
- (v14.3 new) Optimized for large files when Encode/Decode Selection commands are selected.
- (v14.4 new) The new version can adjust the window size automatically when a custom bar is opened.
- (v14.4 new) With the new version, the wrapping mode can be set independently per document, not only per configuration.
- (v14.4 new) The Comment and Uncomment commands now work at the current line if there is no selection.
- (v14.5 new) Even when EmEditor is operated under the CSV/TSV mode or the outlining mode, the cursor position and selection will not be altered so that the overall behavior will be more accurate.
- (v14.5 new) The improved Update Checker allows less clicks to update EmEditor to future versions.
- The Close when Finished check box in the Find in Files dialog box and the Replace in Files dialog box.
- The Output Options drop-down list box was added to the Find in Files dialog box, where you can select the display option from File Names and Lines, File Names Only, Matched Lines Only, and Matched Strings Only.
- The Enter Maintenance Key dialog box was added.
- The Add Maintenance Key button in the About EmEditor dialog box.
- (v14.1 new) The Bookmarked Lines item was added to the Specified Part list box in the Display tab of Configuration Properties.
- (v14.1 new) The “Do not show this message again” check box was added to the Access Denied dialog box to skip this prompt message. This dialog box is displayed when EmEditor tries to save a file in the Program Files or Windows system folder. This setting will be not be remember between EmEditor sessions, so the prompt message will show up again after you restart EmEditor.
- (v14.1 new) The Set Initial Folder check box and Initial Folder text box were added to the New File Details dialog box.
- (v14.2 new) The Disable markers automatically when the Markers toolbar is hidden check box was added to the Options tab of the Customize Markers dialog box.
- (v14.2 new) The << Find button was added to the Replace dialog box.
- (v14.2 new) The Show User-Defined Guides check box and the User-Defined Guide Positions text box were added to the Marks tab of configuration properties.
- (v14.2 new) The User-Defined Guides item was added to the Specified Part list box in the Display tab of Configuration Properties.
- (v14.3 new) The Show Marks on Vertical Scroll Bar, Changes, Bookmarks, Found Strings, and Cursor Position check boxes on theScroll tab of configuration properties.
- (v14.3 new) The Highlight Changed/Saved Lines check box on the Marks tab of configuration properties.
- (v14.3 new) The context menu displayed when right-clicked on a scroll bar includes the Scroll Properties.
- (v14.3 new) The message box displayed at the end of document while searching now includes both OK and cancel button and allows you to cancel the search.
- (v14.4 new) The Outline tab of configuration properties.
- (v14.4 new) The Outline tab of the Customize dialog box.
- (v14.4 new) The Adjust Window size when Custom Bar is Opened check box and the Limit Window to Monitor Size when Custom Bar is Opened check box were added to the Window tab of the Customize dialog box.
- (v14.4 new) The Synchronize Wrap Mode check box was added to the View tab of the Customize dialog box.
- (v14.5 new) The Max level and Initially drop-down list boxes were added to the Outline tab of configuration properties.
- (v14.5 new) The Outline tab of configuration properties now allows you to define up to 32 levels for the outlining.
- (v14.5 new) The Synchronize selection to cursor position check box was deprecated in the Outline tab of the Customize dialog box.
- Percent-encoding to Unicode (Current Encoding)
- Unicode to Percent-encoding (Current Encoding)
- Percent-encoding to Unicode (UTF-8)
- Unicode to Percent-encoding (UTF-8)
- Move Line Up (CTRL + SHIFT + UP)
- Move Line Down (CTRL + SHIFT + DOWN)
- (v14.1 new) Reset All Settings
- (v14.2 new) Insert Macron
- (v14.2 new) Add/Remove User-Defined Guide
- (v14.2 new) User-Defined Guides
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Top
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Bottom
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Page Up
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Page Down
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Page Left
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Page Right
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Left Edge
- (v14.3 new) Scroll Right Edge
- (v14.4 new) Toggle Outline Bar and Guide
- (v14.4 new) Toggle Outline Bar
- (v14.4 new) Toggle Outline Guide
- (v14.4 new) Outlining (Popup Menu)
- (v14.4 new) Outline Properties
- (v14.4 new) Customize Outline
- (v14.4 new) Reset Font Size
- (v14.4 new) Set Current Font Size as Default
- (v14.4 new) Insert Tab
- (v14.5 new) Synchronize Outline Bar and Outline Guide
Macro new features
- (v14.1 new) The InitialFolder property was added to the FileNewProp object.
- (v14.1 new) The SetInitialFolder property was added to the FileNewProp object.
- (v14.2 new) The ShowUserDefinedGuides property was added to the MarkProp object.
- (v14.4 new) DiscardUndo property was added to the Window object.
Plug-in API new features
- (v14.4 new) EE_GET_COLOR message.
- (v14.4 new) Editor_GetColor inline function.
- (v14.4 new) GET_COLOR_INFO structure.
- (v14.4 new) EI_GET_DISCARD_UNDO and EI_SET_DISCARD_UNDO commands were added to the EE_INFO message.