New in Version 8
Large File Controller
EmEditor is now able to open even larger than 248 GB by opening a portion of the file with the new custom bar – Large File Controller. The Large File Controller allows you to specify the beginning point, end point, and range of the file to be opened. It also allows you to stop the opening of the file and monitor the real size of the file and the size of the temporary disk available.
Vertical Selection Editing
The new vertical selection editing feature allows you to replace similar lines quickly without using regular expressions.
Binary (ASCII View) and Binary (Hexadecimal View) were added to the available encodings so that you can edit binary files. In binary files, you can open up to 248 GB or 2.1 billion lines if viewed in the specified encoding.
Optimized Search and Replace
EmEditor always has been optimized for speed. One of the optimizations has been made for the Replace All feature. While Replace All is being executed, a status message box appears and allows you to cancel the Undo information. If you choose to cancel the Undo information, Replace All executes much faster. If you don’t choose to cancel the Undo information, Replace All will save all the Undo information. Along with other improvements, Replace All has become four times faster than it was in EmEditor Professional Version 7.00.
Improved Projects Plug-in
The Projects plug-in was improved with solution templates, the toolbar, and the parameter information tooltip, etc. It also allows you to open Visual Studio solution files as read-only.
Other New Features
- The Function Bar can now be displayed (View > Function Bar).
- Speed is optimized when each line is very long.
- Marks (CR, LF, Tab, Space, EOF) can be customized (Tools > Customize > Marks).
- Extended Katakana support is available.
- Auto-panning by clicking the mouse wheel.
- The Indent Guides can be displayed (Configuration Properties > Marks > Show Indent Guides).
- Right-click in the line numbers or the left side of the window to move the cursor to start of that line.
- Tag Format can be specified with regular expressions (Customize > Edit > Tag Format).
- Drag and drop editing can be disabled (Customize > Edit > Enable Text Drag and Drop).
- Temporary folders can be specified (Customize > Advanced > Use System Temporary Folder).
- The Keyboard Map window can be sorted by clicking each column.
- INI files can be imported to the Registry (Import and Export Wizard > Import Personal INI files to the Registry).
- The Copy command now copies the entire current line when no text is selected. The old behavior can be also selected by using the Copy Selection command.
- The Cut command now cuts the entire current line when no text is selected. The old behavior can be also selected by using the Cut Selection command.
- A new dialog appears when invalid characters are contained in the opening file.
- A new dialog appears when the document contains characters which will be lost if saved as selected encoding for saving.
- Find in Files results can be redirected in the Output Bar (Find in Files > Use Output Bar).
- The new Jump Next and Jump Previous commands can be used to jump between results in the Output bar.
- Mouse wheel with CTRL increases or decreases the font size.
- Mouse wheel with Right-click moves to next or previous document.
New Plug-in Features
- The Projects plug-in was improved with solution templates, the toolbar, the parameter information tooltip, etc. It also allows you to open Visual Studio solution files as read-only.
- The Word Complete plug-in can now complete recently searched strings.
- Search All Open Documents check box in the Replace dialog box.
- Dotted Lines check box in the Scroll tab of Configuration Properties.
- Show Indent Guides check box in the Marks tab of Configuration Properties.
- Return Method check box in the Status tab of the Customize dialog box.
- Edit tab in the Customize dialog box.
- Use System Temporary Folder check box and Temporary Folder text box in the Advanced tab of the Customize dialog box.
- Marks tab in the Customize dialog box.
- Set Cursor Position when Activated with Mouse check box in the Window tab of the Customize dialog box.
- Display Macro Titles in Basic Toolbar check box in the Toolbars dialog box.
- File Dropped event was added to the Select Events list box of the Select Events dialog box.
- Reload as Binary (ASCII View)
- Reload as Binary (Hex View)
- Save as Binary (ASCII View)
- Save as Binary (Hex View)
- Erase Workspace
- Cut Selection
- Copy Selection
- Select Logical Line
- Jump Next
- Jump Previous
- Level 2-16
- Replace Next
- Set Word to Replace
- Toggle Function Bar
- Toggle Large File Controller
- Customize Edit
- Customize Marks
- Terminate Tool Job
Macros New Features
- GetProfileInt method, GetProfileString method, WriteProfileInt method, WriteProfileString method, and FileDialog method were added to the Editor Object.
- DroppedFiles Collection was added.
- DroppedFiles property, ExStyle property, and Style property were added to the Window Object.
- DottedLine property added to the ScrollProp Object.
- ShowIndentGuides property added to the MarkProp Object.
Plug-in API New Features
- EP_USE_DROPPED_FILES was added to the Messages to Plug-ins.
- EE_GET_DROPPED_FILE message was added.
- Editor_GetDroppedFile inline function was added.
- EI_USE_INI and EI_GET_LANGUAGE parameters were added to the EE_INFO message, Editor_Info inline function, and Editor_DocInfo inline function.
- EVENT_DROPPED and EVENT_SAVING were added to the Events.