EmEditor makes it convenient for you to edit different delimited formats, especially comma-separated values (CSV) files. When open a CSV file, all the separators line up vertically. You can quickly edit the document using the CSV/Sort toolbar, which includes commands like Sort by Multiple Columns, Extract Columns, Line Number, Ruler, and Heading. Furthermore, the versions after EmEditor v14.6 has enhanced the CSV features and give you more options to customize any CSV document:
- You can define up to 64 CSV formats, and each format now allows up to 39-character long text.
- You can easily filter any CSV file through the Filter toolbar. The Advanced Filter dialogue box allows you to specify filter strings and conditions for each column. Furthermore, you can simply click the Negative button on the Filter toolbar to exclude the matched lines.
- The Join CSV feature allows you to merge two CSV documents specifying key columns, using a method analogous to SQL JOIN operations (INNER JOIN, OUTER JOIN, RIGHT JOIN and LEFT JOIN).
- Have embedded newlines in your CSV document? No problem! You can select the Remove Embedded Newlines command on the CSV/Sort toolbar to quickly remove the embedded newlines. You can also use the new Match Only Embedded Newlines in CSV option in the Find dialog box as well as the Find toolbar to find, replace, and remove newlines.
- Want to mark all the duplicate lines in your file? The Delete Duplicate Lines dialog box can help you set bookmarks for duplicate lines without deleting them. You can also apply the command to all documents in a group.
- EmEditor v17.2 added the AutoFill feature in the CSV cell selection mode. The AutoFill feature allows you to drag the bottom right corner of the selected cell border (AutoFill handle) to copy the same value as the selected cell to the up, down, right, or left neighboring cell(s). If multiple cells are selected and those cells contain values including serial numbers, those values can be easily extended by dragging the AutoFill handle. Double-clicking the AutoFill handle while the selected cell is at the top of the CSV document, the above behavior can be applied to the entire column of the document.
- Added the Flash Fill command. Selecting the Flash Fill command while in the CSV cell selection mode causes EmEditor to compare the current cell with other columns, and fills the current column with data if it finds an apparent pattern.